Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Very impressed with the Mammoth Mum series

aachenelf z5 Mpls
10 years ago

First a little background on my mum growing:

Over the years, all my mums were purchased as rooted cuttings from a Minnesota grower and I believe most (if not all) were developed at the University of Minnesota, so I haven't had many issues with winter survival. My biggest mistake however, was trying to grow them in beds facing SW which is the front of my house. Yes, they grew, they bloomed, they survived the winter, but that intense afternoon sun and heat simply fried them. So, this spring I moved all of them to the beds with a SE orientation and the difference has been pretty remarkable. My mums should be spectacular this fall (knock on wood).

One of the mums I moved was 'Coral Daisy' from the Mammoth Mum series. Again, developed at the U of M. There's a link at the bottom with some more info about these mums and their breeding program. From a couple of tiny sprigs transplanted in May, this plant is now 34 inches across, about 15 inches tall and pretty much a perfect mount. I never pinched it. I think I fertilized it once. It's listed as hardy to minus 30-35 F.

When I purchased this plant, the grower stated from a rooted cutting, in the second year, expect a plant 3-4 feet across which I totally believe now. From the current state of bud development, it looks like this one won't be blooming for about a month, so hopefully our current heat wave should be history. If you're looking for mums to order next year, you might want to put this one on your list. I'm pretty impressed with it.

Here's my mum today:

{{gwi:261150}}

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: U of M

Comments (67)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ispahan - I should have mentioned that photo was from last year. Mine is currently only showing some color in the buds, so it will be late this year. Sometimes this one blooms in August, but it seems almost impossible to figure out what triggers an early blooming vs. a later blooming. It also looks like it will be much shorter this year - maybe 2 feet tall - which is very unusual. I certainly watered it this year. Maybe the late start to summer?

No, I have never allowed a seedling to stay in place. I probably should just to see what happens.

Kevin

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, here's my Mammoth Coral Daisy in bloom. I don't think it's at its peak yet, but it still looks nice.

{{gwi:261152}}

And as long as I'm posting mum photos, here's another one I really like - Peach Centerpiece. I've had this one for several years and have divided it many times. It's kind of nice having a mum with larger flowers - around 3 inches - instead of the small flowered cushion or daisy type flowers. This isn't from the Mammoth series.

{{gwi:261153}}

Kevin

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Wow, Kevin, very nice. I especially love the Peach Centerpiece. I love the bloom form and the color. I like the way the bloom seems to change color as it goes through stages. This would go nicely in my new orange/yellow/red bed, which is where I also put the NOID orange mum from a friend I mentioned above.

Can you give a little more info on this one - did you pinch, height, etc.?

Thank you for the photos!
    Dee

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dee

The Peach C grows about 24 inches tall and I did pinch it once which didn't seem to reduce its height, it just made it a bit bushier. It's my earliest mum to bloom and the grower lists the bloom time as Sept 5 which is pretty accurate.

You're right about the color change. That's one thing I really like about it, but the flowers also change shape too as they age. It's kind of hard to describe, but they almost get spiny looking which is kind of cool. It stays nice looking for a very long time.

I took a closer look at the flowers and was wrong about their width. They're really more like 4 inches across instead of the 3 inches. Nice long stems make for a good cut flower too. This one also comes in a lavender form called 'Centerpiece'. I think my grower also had another introduction this past spring, but I don't remember the color.

Kevin

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Thanks Kevin. I'm definitely going to look into this. Wish I had known about it when I was selling bouquets - this would have been gorgeous in a fall bouquet!

Dee

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Yeah..... I need that.
    I noticed you never named your supplier. Are they local? I'm liable to spend the whole weekend searching online for a springtime source for these. Thanks a lot.

• linlily
    10 years ago

Another "thank you" here, Kevin. I need another new plant like I need a hole in my head. But, I have to have Peach Centerpiece. I love it! One year, a LONG time ago, I tried growing mums from seeds and I grew a spider mum that I just loved. The only problem I had with it was that it set buds late and didn't open until well after the first frost here, and that is a problem. I seldom got to see the flowers.

I just checked and Garden Harvest Supply sells Peach Centerpiece and suggests you pre-order them in December. I have purchased from GHS and have been very pleased with their plants. Everything I bought from them is still growing here and doing well.

Linda

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kato

The link to my source is below. I would suggest you send them a message and have them add you to their mailing list. In the spring they'll send out a brochure with their listings. I don't think you can order online. You'll have to do it the old-fashioned way by sending in an order form. Just so you're aware, they send rooted cuttings which seems kind of lame, but they really do develop into nice-sized blooming plants by fall. Plus, they are cheap at $2.50 each.

Linda

I'm happy to be tempting you with yet another plant!

I know what you mean about some plants blooming too late. That's one nice thing about this website, they give you an estimated time for first blooms. While you're at it, check out their football mums. I haven't grown any of those yet, but I might next spring.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Mums

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

Kevin, thanks so much for the website. I am definitely going to order some ---- mums from MN sounds like they should be hardy enough for NW IL.

I said I would never try mums again but I love them so much so I think this vendor might be the answer!

• jackie_o
    10 years ago

Linda add me to the list of those wowed by your Peach Centerpiece photo. Thanks for the link, I've emailed them my info.
    :)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link, you must have posted it once before since it looks familiar, shame on me for losing it!
    There are so many cool varieties listed, I forgot how nice mums could be! I think I just got used to seeing the pots at the box stores and fell in to a rut. Maybe it's time for a new plant obsession?.... might have to put the dahlias on hold for a year or two.

• linlily
    10 years ago

Just checked out your link, Kevin and I'm in love. Now...what can I take out to make room for a few more mums????

Linda

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Happy to hear you're happy with what you see on the website.

One thing I've noticed though, is I don't find their photos very helpful. I tend to go by the written descriptions. I just find them more useful if I'm looking for particular colors.

Another thing I love about ordering mums: You look at the photos in winter, make your decisions, place your order, get your plants in the spring and then totally forget about what they're suppose to look when they bloom. It's one big surprise when the first flowers open in the fall. Kind of a nice way to end the season.

Right now, I have 17 varieties of mums and I'm sure I'll add a few more next year. I try to limit myself to about 6 new ones per year. Eventually I'll run out of room, but not yet.

I'll try to remember to post a few more photos of especially nice ones when they bloom. 2 you should consider are 'Cameo' if you like a nice clear pink and 'Dolliette' which is a stunning red and yellow combo.

Kevin

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

17! Wow, your yard must be very colorful in the fall!

You should make a post to this thread in January or February, Kevin, to remind us all to do some mum shopping, lol!

:)
    Dee

• jackie_o
    10 years ago

Sorry Kevin I got your name wrong!
    Do you have any asters? I've got about six of them and three of them look awful. They were gorgeous the first year and for the next two they have just not done well. Spindly, leggy, brownish blooms. I'm not sure what I've done wrong with them. We had a good year with perfect amounts of sun and rain. Everything else in the garden looks great. My mums bloomed early and I deadheaded them and am getting more bloom now. Just those darned asters look bad.

• flowergirl70ks
    10 years ago

My peach centerpiece never ever looked like yours Kevin. The color was so grayed it was ugly. They(mfg) told me it was the heat here in southwest Ks.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jackie - I only have 3-4 fall asters I think. Some do better for me than others and over the years I've eliminated the ones that just didn't perform well. I don't know what could be causing your problems because it sounds like they've gotten plenty of water. Lack of consistent moisture seems to cause the most problems in my experience. Unless they need dividing? I divide mine about every 3 years or they get too crowded.

flowergirl - I bet the heat was the issue. I moved all my mums this year from the SW side of my house where it was too blasted hot and they've done sooooooo much better.

Kevin

• sandy0225
    10 years ago

Have any of you tried the igloo series of mums? Mine have came back 3 years in a row and we planted them in the fall, both here and at church.

• jackie_o
    10 years ago

Thanks for responding Kevin. I'm going to move the three asters that aren't doing well. It may be a crowding issue. I'll see if they do better in another area of the garden.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was out taking some photos of my mums and thought an update on the Mammoth Coral might be interesting for some to see. Here's how it looks now:

{{gwi:261154}}

The color has faded and the flowers are in decline when viewed close up, but from a distance I really like it. It's is a nice break from all the traditional mum colors we normally expect this time of year.

Kevin

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    10 years ago

Sandy 0225, where did you get Igloo Mums? I bought a reddish one from Park Seed a few years ago and it's a great plant. I've looking for a yellow Igloo but can't find anywhere.

• jackie_o
    10 years ago

Kevin that's gorgeous! I love the shades of color.

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

Kevin, you are a troublemaker. Now I've got to "do" mums again! Aaarrgh!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jackie - Thank you. Yes, I'm very pleased with this change in color

patann - Oh yes I am and proud of it! I think I'm totally smitten with the mum bug this year. I still have quite a few which haven't even opened yet and other in the process of opening, so my garden is still really, really pretty despite the lateness of the season. I'll do another thread hopefully soon with some of my other favorites. I picked up a couple really outstanding varieties this year.

Kevin

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

Earlier I was outside harvesting a big bouquet of "will's wonderful"
    I have a golden straw colored one, a orange to gold, one that is going to be deep pinky-red, and in November, dear Sheffield Pink.
    If I get home early enough tomorrow, I'll take some pictures. Maybe you'll help me remember the names.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Aachenelf ~ surfing tonight and so glad I found your post and link. 'Minnruby' was my favorite red years ago. Never thought I'd find it again. Thank You.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

I am envious Kevin. Your pictures show perfectly "perfect Mums".

I have only one mum ("Matchstick"). It doesnt reach its full potential as I don't have it in enough sun.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

iris - I know Minnruby was on my wish list at one point. I'll have to check it out again. I'm in need of a good red.

rouge - Thank you. I was wondering if you grew any mums, but you're correct. They do need good sun.

Kevin

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Do you use a support for your Mammoth Mums? My red one looks great until full bloom then splays somewhat. Also 'Pink Twilight' seems to have a looser habit. A friend gave me a division of her coral one this spring.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mnwsgal - No, I don't use any support for this one. This is one plant I can say with 100% certainty does not flop - never ever, under any conditions of wind or rain. I was deadheading this one over the weekend and noticed the stems which support the flowers are almost like little tree branches - very thick, woody and strong.

Kevin

10 years ago

Kevin wrote:

rouge - Thank you. I was wondering if you grew any mums, but you're correct. They do need good sun.

It has been buggin' me that I have no space in full sun for one of your wonderful mums. They are spectacular. And then today while out raking leaves near what we call our "rose garden" it hit me. This plot has too much color in July and August but not enough in the fall. So I am going to remove 2 "Oso Easy Paprika Roses" and replace them with 2 of your MUMS! Although these roses are no maintenance, there really isnt enough room for them where they are. These MUMS, although MAMMOTH will not be as tall and so the lesser height will also help this garden. I'm excited.

Thanks again Kevin for your post and pictures.

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

It's good to see your mums post Kevin, and the photos. I've just always bought whatever they had at the BBstore marked hardy garden mum, and they seem to overwinter fine, the red ones more hardy than the yellows or purples. The frost doesn't phase them when they bloom, but this year Atlas hit with 3 ft of snow and the mums now look like flat colorful explosions in two dimensions only across the ground. At the other house the red one I had lived a long time with no care, but finally died of not being divided. At my new house I already have dividing the mums on my list of spring jobs. They are really worth it for their bright late color.

The link to the website is good with lots of description. Happy shopping everyone!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Happy you enjoyed them.

It's hard for me to believe it's already November and most of the mums are still looking good. In fact, I just picked some for inside the house. Some are starting to look a pick shaggy when viewed up close, so they don't work for picking, but they still are very colorful in the garden. No really cold weather in the forecast either, so this is really turning into a nice extended fall.

Kevin

10 years ago

Yes, they grew, they bloomed, they survived the winter, but that intense afternoon sun and heat simply fried them.

I wouldn't have guessed this Kevin as I was under the impression that Mums thrived on full sun and were good re water requirements.

10 years ago

Yes, they grew, they bloomed, they survived the winter, but that intense afternoon sun and heat simply fried them.

I wouldn't have guessed this Kevin as I was under the impression that Mums thrived on full sun and were good re water requirements.

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

I ordered the MM's from the site in MN and can't wait to get them in the ground. The space I have planned is in full sun though. I hope that won't be a problem. In fact, maybe I will put some on the north side of the house around some large peonies so I have something to bloom after the peonies.

It just seems like summer was too short this year. Yes, I am old and time is flying!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't want to give the wrong impression. Mums do need as much sun as possible, but the SW side of my house just doesn't work for a lot of plants because of the heat buildup. There must be something about my house and property that makes it so inhospitable to a lot of plants. I would definitely not plant these in any kind of shade.

Kevin

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Ryseryse did you order this year already? I was waiting for a list or an email.... I guess their ordering process doesn't change much year to year so could probably do it now...

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If you want to see if any new varieties are offered in the spring, it might be best to wait until you get their brochure in the mail. Most years, it's the same list, but every once in a while there is something new.

Kevin

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Thanks, I signed up for the mailing and was wondering if I missed it.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If you want to see if any new varieties are offered in the spring, it might be best to wait until you get their brochure in the mail. Most years, it's the same list, but every once in a while there is something new.

Kevin

10 years ago

These extra hardy, special 'mums' are not easy to source where I am located.

I think that there is no doubt that many gardeners and most homeowners think of 'mums' as those plants that appear en masse in late summer at grocery and big box stores.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 17:51

10 years ago

This year I added Bolero, Harmony and Cambodian Queen

I think Bol. and Harm. are mums from breeder Rika Bronsther. (I have her "Matchstick" and it has never done very well).

Kevin, can you tell me now these ones did in your garden this past fall? I do realize that this is their first year in the ground but did you see enough performance to keep you happy?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rouge

I mentioned both with photos in my other mum thread (link below). I was so impressed with both, I will certainly be searching for more by Rika this spring. Without a doubt, 'Bolero' made my top 5 favorite plants of the year. 'Harmony' was very similar in appearance, but bloomed much later, so that's kind of a negative in my book, but it was certainly very nice. Both were purchased from Bluestone and came in 3 inch pots. By the time they bloomed, they were easily over 2 feet across.

If I remember correctly, both were largely unaffected by temps in the low 20's and didn't succumb completely until we reached the teens.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Mums

10 years ago

Maybe one advantage of the Mammoth series of mums over "Rika's" plants are that the Minnesota bred chrysanthemums are even hardier i.e. listed as good to even a zone 3 (whereas "Rika's" are shown as zone 5).

10 years ago

See here for more interesting info re chrysanthemums:

Here is a link that might be useful: Trial Report

This post was edited by rouge21 on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 6:57

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rouge - It is interesting to see how these are evaluated across the pond, but I wonder how that translates to our very different climate? I noticed in the report, it was mentioned their trial garden experienced one of the lowest winter temps in recent years: -17 C which equals around 1.4 F. As we all know, that's not considered very cold around here.

I also noticed they mentioned a couple of pest problems I have never heard of. Come to think of it, I can't recall mums in my garden having any issues with pests other than rabbits. Still, an interesting read.

Of the ones awarded in their garden trials, I have one - Ruby Mound. It is a nice plant and for a long time was one of my favorites, but I've discovered others I like better.

Kevin

10 years ago

Kevin, doing a little googling, it appears that many of the 'mums shown in this England evaluation are available here with hardier climate zones listed.

(I do see the Mammoth mums listed)

What I am now realizing after doing more looking is the very great number of varieties in this genus.

I am very much looking forward to planting several chrysanthemums this coming season.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"What I am now realizing after doing more looking is the very great number of varieties in this genus."

I've been thinking the same thing. In fact, I'm starting to realize I really have no idea (yet) of the possibilities.

It's kind of sad to think most people only see the few varieties offered as blooming plants in the fall at their local garden center and settle for that as enough of a selection.

Kevin

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has received a brochure yet. I didn't notice any change on their website but wasn't sure if that meant anything or not.... The thermometer has gone above freezing two days in a row and all of a sudden I'm all about growing things and gardens again!