Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qbush

Anapahlis margaritacea, Pearly Everlasting

qbush
9 years ago

I have this plant in a partial sun bed, and it has quietly taken over one corner. Not sure if it because I don't do much to this bed, or because it is in competition with White Yarrow, and a pink Campanula punctata (I think...) both of which spread vigorously.

Any information on how invasive it might be on it's own??? Thinking of transplanting some to a cutting area since it holds well in a vase, and blooms in August.

Comments (7)

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Have had all.

The Campanula punctata and C. takesimana cultivars I've had were extremely invasive and very difficult to eliminate, QBush.

Didn't find either the species pearly everlasting or the yarrow cultivars I previously used invasive.

This post was edited by SunnyBorders on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 11:37

• qbush
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sunny: I would agree on the campanula puntata, but I have learned to just rip it out with the grass and weeds. It is hard to dislike a pink bell shaped perennial that re blooms when you cut it back hard. It does tend to colonize the rock wall, the gravel, and the rest of the bed if I ignore it for to long though. Thanks for the thoughts on the C. Takesimana though I think I'll avoid that one in the future.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

I had a large bed of Takesimana. Yes, it spreads, but when I decided I no longer wanted it, I simply dug it out and that was that. I had a few sprouts the following spring, but nothing major. It's all gone now.

Kevin

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

QBush, I have been told that Campanula takesimana (Korean bellflower) is less invasive than C. punctata (spotted bellflower), but they are still both invasive.

I've seen spotted bell flower colonizing tough areas, just as you say, for instance, growing in the crack between a stone wall and a gravel roadway.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Missed Kevin's post.

Interesting, but guess it depends on individual circumstances.

I have mixed perennial beds with different perennials planted and maintained close together. The soil is rich, relatively loose and well-watered. My intend is to maintain plant diversity, in a flower bed, for continuous, changing flower colour from spring to fall.

These two campanulas have soft, very irregularly branching rhizomous roots that extends out and get into the root systems of slower growing plants. I've found it quite difficult to dig their roots out because they break very easily. I've read their roots described as "rubbery", like rubber bands.

At least for my growing conditions and style of gardening, these perennials mean trouble. On the other hand, I can work with Campanula 'Sarastro' which I've not found to be a runner.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

mmmm I feel as though I am dicing with death planting c.rapunculoides (so pretty though). I have become very blase about invasive after a year of rubus murder.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

"Dicing with death", Campanula; nice turn of phrase, though perhaps a bit melodramatic.

I'd simply say "communing with the Devil".

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists