Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auron22

Compiling a large list. Input appreciated :)

auron22
10 years ago

About a year ago I started documenting plants that have caught my eye from the internet, gardens, public lots, etc... It's kind of like a personal picture dictionary. Some plants have a note or two. It is organized in alphabetical order by scientific names (only first letter though, have not organized it further). I thought it would be nice to have something I can go to when I want to make additions (or an entirely new garden). It might be a waste of time, but still had fun doing it. It is an Open Office word document.

I thought some would appreciate it if I shared, and if anyone would like to provide input would be great. Notes like aggressive, invasive, difficult, or pointing out if pictures/naming is incorrect. All of these plants I have researched online. Most (if not all) plants I listed that are commonly grown for flowers I have looked up how long they bloom and when (but didn't write it down). The longer blooming the better, but fleeting beauties like lilac and wisteria are also listed (hopefully not the crazy aggressive/invasive wisteria).

Additions are also welcome, just tell me the scientific name and I can look it up from there, and likely add it. Any information you already know about it would also be great. All of you are very experienced and I respect your personal tastes :)

Also if something is deemed so invasive that it doesn't matter what it looks like, I might even remove it from the list. Unless it is invasive only in specific zones/conditions, then I will note those zones and conditions. (example: invasive in z8 or invasive in sand, etc...). Also if it turns out something was just a hoax, or a poor performer in most conditions i'll remove it. I don't have much experience in gardening, just being wishful that i'll have one someday...majority of these plants I have not personally grown.

If you want a copy of the document, just send me an email. I do not own any of the pictures. Also, if you know of a better way for me to share this without having people download it that would be fantastic. I'm a bit worried sending it and people downloading it.

Since all of these were researched online, there are probably numerous mistakes. I'm a bit busy with college, so updates might only happen around once a week. Whenever I do update it, i'll bump this thread and list any changes.

Comments (6)

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    10 years ago

Hi Auron,

One way to display a document on the web is with google drive (a cloud drive) and it's free. But your project might outgrow this. I can e-mail you more details if you are interested.

It's designed for collaborative documents and you have your choice of security settings. I helped someone else on gardenweb set up a small database and then she posted the link in the forum. We used tight security allowing anyone to view but only the author to make changes (plus any helpers if you get any & want to allow them to edit as well).

You say your file is in OpenOffice. Can you convert it to Word? If you haven't done that a lot you might research how well it will come out using different conversion methods as google accepts Word and Excel. Most probably there is a google drive forum where you could post and get help. Good luck!

Quick google on converters, old but interesting maybe:
    Converting OpenOffice to Word

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Drive help on file formats

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks river crossroads :)

Never heard of google drive before, sounds convenient. Sadly the original file was far too large, 48.7 MB. The list is now broken down into separate files by each letter. It will probably take a while for each category to exceed the limit. Although, file "C" is already over 14 MB, if it becomes too large I might just add a "C2". Seems it accepts openoffice pretty well. When I tried viewing it though, it was unable to. I'll be looking up how to do that later on in the day. For now, still have to download a temp file if I were to share it.

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah now I see....

Although I can upload openoffice files, they are not supported by the viewer. I'll be looking into that converter.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

"I do not own any of the pictures"

The above line you wrote bothers me. It is one thing when only you view them on your own computer, and quite another when you start start sharing collections of photos you do not have the right to use with other people on the internet. Take your own photographs of the plants, get proper use permission for internet photos you may want to use, or ask people to voluntarily send you their own photos for use in this project.

But to use photos that are posted on the internet in the way you are intending to, without permission, is wrong. I don't care how common a practice it is, it is still wrong.

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My apologies Gyr_Falcon,

I'll revise the list, without photos to share. I have no intentions to use them for commercial gain. It was for anyone that did not know what a plant was and wanted a quick look at what it looks like and how many different ways it can look (spring flowers/fall colors for example).

In the near future I will probably add descriptions of each plant for more practical use of the list. Height/width, bloom color/time, light requirements.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I think you could do and use this a lot easier as a spreadsheet. I keep one of my own garden notes also.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts