Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heliopsis 'Midwest Dreams' vs. 'Summer Sun'

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 28, 09 at 13:12

I planted Midwest Dreams instead of Summer Sun and wonder what the difference is between the two. 'Summer Sun' sends up new flower buds on either side of the oldest flower, but they get smaller and smaller in size. The flower stems are very tough and sturdy so the plants are upright. Does anyone here grow both?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heliopsis 'Midwest Dreams' vs. 'Summer Sun'

I've only grown 'Summer Sun'. From the sounds of descriptions, the only difference is that 'Midwest Dreams' is a little shorter.

o

'Midwest Dreams' is a seed strain and its colour can vary from yellow to nearly orange, not on the same plant, of course. It may not be as vigorous as 'Summer Sun'. The flowers on 'Midwest Dreams' seem to also vary, from single to semi-double. Overall, I would recommend 'Summer Sun'. It has been around longer, and in my opinion, is a more reliable plant. I have another heliopsis named 'Ballerina' that is similar to the other two, and one I like very much.

o

I have not grown Midwest Dreams, but have had Summer Sun for years. A tough reliable plant. Also if you're looking for a shorter variety Tuscan Sun grows only 18 to 24 inches tall. Summer Nights and Prairie Sunset have deep purple stems and a wine/burgundy eye zone, 3-5 ft. tall. Lorraine Sunshine has green and white varigated leaves, the varigation becomes less distinct later in the season.

o

I grow Summer Sun. Very heavy flowerer and a very upright habit. We had a lot of very heavy rainfall this summer and none of mine have flopped. They will seed (I started with three plants, probably have over thirty this year), but they're easy to yank out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here