Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

"Tanna" and "Red Thunder" (Sanguisorba)

I saw these two plants at a small nursery this past weekend. They were both in small pots, so both were equally small. And each looked very similar (to each other). Do you have experience with either of these Sanguisorba?

(I did pick up one "Red Thunder"....with no place to put it ;). Here it is below)

Comments (6)

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

How pretty! I love seeing Sanguisorba of all types in photos.

I only grow one: Sanguisorba tenuifolia 'Alba'. I think it needs/wants more moisture than I can reasonably provide in my sandy soil. This is my second season with it and it just seems to barely grow. Sigh.

By the way, what nurseries are you going to that have such a wonderful selection of perennials? You always post the most amazing finds! :-)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think it needs/wants more moisture

Thanks for the real life confirmation ispahan (you are always so helpful). I was worried this was an issue ie water needy. I bought this plant kind of knowing it needed to go in a naturally moist location (I don't have such a place in full sun) or I would need to provide supplemental water (I really don't want to do this).

I think the best option for me is to plant it in lots of sun and see how it gets on next season. (I will water it this August so that it is healthy going into the winter).

By the way, what nurseries are you going to that have such a wonderful selection of perennials?

With much that I learn from GW I have an on-going list of unique perennials that I would like (not need). And I really enjoy going to nurseries even far afield. So I am always on the look-out for good stuff!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE:

Here is this same "Tanna" a year later.

It was a late riser this past spring and grew so very slowly.

It is in close to full bloom but it is hard to see the flowers in this picture...even in 'real life' as they are small and very dark red. I am not sure it will remain in its present location ;).

• debbiecz3
    9 years ago

I have a variety of Sanguisorba called menziesii with variegated foliage but it doesn't seem to want to bloom for me. Last year I had a few blooms but this year nothing. It is very hardy, zone 2 I believe. The foliage is fairly attractive but blooms would be nice. Looks like your Tanna isn't shy to bloom ! I try to keep mine well watered.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

Cute. My Sanguisorba menziesii that I started from seeds does not bloom much, very likely because the plant is squashed among others. :-D I am planning to sow some more this winter.

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

rouge, funny, i just posted a question about sanguisorba choice because i had not seen this thread! your handsome clump might work really well if a yellow foliage shrib were behind it. Deutzia chardonnay pearls, berberis aurea, yellow leaf forsythia(they stay small) ....

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting