Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Eleutherococcus [Acanthopanax] sieboldianus 'Variegatus'

I planted this bush very early this spring. It is described as slow growing and easily able to handle dry shade. I have been surprised at how quickly it has grown. It has easily tripled its size and I can well imagine that if such growth continues I will need to trim it regularly to keep it in check.

What has your experience been with this shrub?

Comments (10)

• gazania_gw
    10 years ago

I would just like to know how to pronounce it! Such a cumbersome name for such a dainty shrub.

It is pretty and should really brighten up a shady corner.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

It's not an official, from-the-book pronunciation but my best guess (I took Latin in school) would be El-oo-thayer-o-cox-sus A-can-tho-pan-ax see-bol-dee-an-us. Or, Google the name & hit pronunciation. Common name Aralia which is way easier if you ask me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to that plant with the difficult name

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

I've had one for eight or nine years. I've pruned it a couple times, but for the most part have let it go since it's an "out back" plant. It's about five feet tall, and fairly open - not a tidy/neat looking shrub.

Although its leaves are small, it still provides contrast with other shrubs even from a distance because of the variegation.

Mine has always been in a fair amount of shade and without supplemental water except when transplanted. (It survived a mid-summer transplant last year without issue,)

The deer have never touched it in my garden - I'm guessing there's enough else to sample that they choose to pass on the thorns.

Yours looks beautiful, and I hope you enjoy it!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Ok, please don't get offended by my negativity, but although I generally love variegated plants, there's something to this one that always makes me think it looks weedy.... And I have more than my share of weedy plants that I love.... But not this one.
    It seems bulletproof though, and it does lighten up the hedge behind very nicely. I think when pruning, your best bet will be to cut older stems out from the base in late winter. That should help with the size and keep the graceful airy look.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'kato', there is no need to apologize! Most of us are stimulated by honest and varied points of view re. plants and gardens.

As you say it is bullet proof in that it can easily handle dry shade.

It will soon do (far more quickly than I had thought) what I wanted it to do when I planned the purchase i.e. (quickly) cover the very back corner.

Interesting suggestion re an "airy look" as I had always thought I wanted it to be essentially impenetrable to any view behind it but you have got me thinking.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 15:10

Original Author
    7 years ago

As you say it is bullet proof in that it can easily handle dry shade.

UPDATE:

This past summer it did show its mettle in dry shade:

• Marie Tulin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

In somewhat lighter shade, I'd still go for Kerria Japonica "Picta" lovely yellow, not egg yolk but yellow, flowers, good variegation. It is probably not as vigorous as the above.

http://awaytogarden.com/great-shrubs-kerria-japonica-picta/

Google and there are other articles, incl MOBOT

Original Author
    7 years ago

Marie, I have tried a couple of "Kerria" in the past as I had seen a superb specimen on another property. But each of mine invariably developed significant rust.

• Marie Tulin
    7 years ago

That's too bad. Two "golden guinea"s disappeared. I lost the one before the survivor I have now. It is in afternoon western sun....and I'm surprised it doesn't burn. OTOH, it has barely spread over the last 10 years, except for sending up an odd runner here and there.

Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We had at least one "Golden Guinea".

(The superb specimen I had seen received a fair bit of sun. I am thinking the two we tried were in too much shade?)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area