Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Young "Golden Arrow"

Posted by rouge21 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 13:44

I won't let up until each of you has one of these persicarias in your garden! :) (I have 5 plants).

This one was planted last August so this is its first full summer in our garden and still it looks just wonderful (if I do say so myself).

This persicaria is completely well behaved and can take a lot of shade and still be successful. Its foliage just lights up a shady location.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Young "Golden Arrow"

What is the name of that Persicaria? I have some areas of deep shade that could use some brightening. Will it tolerate total shade beneath evergreens? I have Persicaria "Painter's Pallet" planted there now, and I don't think it increased in size this entire season, despite beautiful rainy evenings. And moderately warm days. I've surrendered and transplanted a few Hostas there to have something growing. The columbine I planted last year didn't bloom this year, and something is chewing on the foliage. I did have some Larkspur that grew and bloomed, but they were spindly and weedy looking. I think they need more sun, as well.
So, tell us a little more about the situation you have yours in. How much shade and moisture does it get. Are the rest of your Persicaria different varieties or the same as the one pictured? TIA

Martha

o

I will get one next Spring. I've been wanting one since you posted it a year or two ago!

o

I will get one next Spring. I've been wanting one since you posted it a year or two ago!

o

SOLD!!! That does look like a winner.

o

Excellent 'thyme'!

You know me well echinaceamaniac. I have been singing the praises of this persicaria for a couple of years.

Here are two plants from last season.

photo FavouritePersicaria_1.jpg

Martha, it can not take dry shade in anyway. And it has been my experience that it does best with a few hours of morning sun. With much more sun it would need much more moisture.

Here is one of my 5 that I had to put in significant shade (ran out of other places). The light you see here is probably the most it gets all day.

(It is my opinion that "Painters Palette" would thrive better than "Golden Arrows" in deep shade.)

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 20:02

o

UPDATED Picture:

Now almost October and this same young GA (pictured on August 18th above) still looks wonderful. It has been in bloom for over 6 weeks! It will take a frost to bring it down.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 16:53

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here