Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

if you have the space, how about a colour wheel?

A gardening friend of mine has a spectacular, quite unique garden that she and her husband created a few years ago on their multi-acre property ....a "colour wheel"

Some details:

- the wheel is 84 feet in diameter with 24 garden beds in the circle and 4 around the gazebo.

{{gwi:261777}}

- the garden beds started at 6 feet wide and the wood chip paths were 4 feet wide. However as the years have passed many of the paths have condensed to about 1 foot wide (we all know how that can easily happen ;))

- there are 6 colours - 1 section in red, one in purple, two pink, one sky blue, one white, and two yellow/orange. The north end contains the cool colours and the south end the hot colours.
- the 15 foot hedge at the south end consists of approx. 25 tri-coloured willows (salix hashiro-nishiki).

- every bed contains roses, perennials, some have grasses, some have Rose of Sharon shrubs, all have colour co-ordinated annuals that are added every year to keep the garden interesting.

{{gwi:261778}}

I have provided this link to my friend and I do hope she will take part in any discussion that may arise.

Comments (13)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

That is impressive! Does she have any shots of individual sections to share? The birds-eye view is great but it would be interesting to see what she has planted in each block.

I just have to say that the bare bones lay-out there is great. No way I would have gotten it that symmetrical- even without white wine in my system ;-)

Personally, it would be REALLY difficult for me to stick with a color theme of any kind. I'm just the type that loves to play around with colors and combinations.
    CMK

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    10 years ago

Oh! That really appeals to me! I like gardens that make strong 'patterns on the ground'. I would love to have something like that and use color that way. I assume that's an early summer picture....? I'd guess the hot colors are more visible now....? Some closer views would definitely be nice.

Posting that reminds me that we need to go check out the renovations to the Laking Garden at RBG (Royal Botanical Garden). They are renovating the iris garden this year and I'm curious to see what they've done. I've always thought that they should make it into a rainbow shape and arrange the irises to follow the colors of the rainbow. (Iris was the Greek godess of the rainbow...) I'll bet your friend would like a garden like that.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I really love that. I generally shy away from anything with a formal design or even layout, but this is different. Kind of the best of both worlds - formal and informal. The willow hedge is especially nice - very unexpected and definitely a break from the symmetrical layout, but it works - beautifully IMO.

That would be one, fun garden to plant.

Kevin

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

I love that it's so unique and very creative!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those responsible for this creation hope to be free to participate later this week.

Original Author
    10 years ago

'woody' wrote:

I assume that's an early summer picture....? I'd guess the hot colors are more visible now....? Some closer views would definitely be nice.

I think you are right 'woody' ie it must be very early in the season...maybe even April?

And for sure more pictures later in the growing season would be perfect.

• molie
    10 years ago

That's a beautiful garden and an amazing design. Very admirable and inspirational--- it must be wonderful to sit in the center of it all looking out.

Hopefully your friend will supply closer photos of individual segments. For example, pictures taken from the center outward would help show the levels these gardeners have created. I'd also love to see shots of individual color segments as the season progressed from Spring to Fall.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Okay, I spent years designing my garden/perennial beds on paper so I'd achieve my visual garden goals... and am pleased that I pretty much have achieved those goals. There's just nothing like those pictures. That's so incredibly amazing I'll just ditto woodyoak's remarks.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Yet another stop to add on the garden tour bus.......

I LOVE this garden. I think it's great that they have a large property and really thought through something unique and on such a large scale. That is what i like most about it, the sheer size of it. Oh, the plants that fit in those beds!! What a dream. Love the gazebo as the center point and the other sitting area. And.....created "a few years ago"? That is a no small feat. Just the work to lay it out and prepare the beds, not to mention all the planting. Amazing it looks so mature in such a short time. Phenomenal job, really.

Did they plant all the trees in the background too? Did their property start as a bare slate, or some bones?

Original Author
    10 years ago

And.....created "a few years ago"? That is a no small feat

I have been told I have many details incorrect. Updates and further details are forthcoming,

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

That's really a nice garden. I would be tempted to spend my days sitting, strolling, and watching.... Never getting around to the work that needs to be done! Did I mention I think it's great? I do, and I'm sometimes amazed by the beautiful things that people are up to in backyards and behind fences.
    Wow.
    And I like the hedge, it's a unique background to the one end of the garden. That willow is almost always used as an accent plant and it's hard to think outside that box.... Another impressive stroke of creativity!
    I hope there are more pictures to come... I see delphiniums and roses and salvias and I think joe pye weed!

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Interesting, more than beautiful, Rouge.

A cross between a crop circle and a parterre?
    Still there's no doubt it's clever gardening.

If I had to do this, I'd first think of relying on annuals.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Just lovely, both in concept and execution. I will look forward to input from the creators of this beautiful garden space.