Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

So nice seeing this sunflower in deep shade

I know it is always hard to quantify "shade" but this location never gets much if any direct sun. There is no doubt it could be considered (deep) shade. (The brightest can be seen in the picture below.).

I think it is known as a "Woodland Sunflower" (Helianthus divaricatus) and is very hardy (zone 3)

It is usually long and leggy but when surrounded with other woodland vegetation one generally only notices the flower. (I notice the leaves are raspy like sandpaper or a cat's tongue)

Mine is growing in dry clay shade.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 14:05

Comments (35)

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Nice. Looks like a wildflower. Did you plant that or is it a volunteer?

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'karin', I transplanted it last year from a location a few hours from me. I had almost forgotten about it until I saw a few weeks ago distinguishing itself from the rest of the wild shade back there.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

What a treat then! We have a season-long sequence of yellow, daisy-like wildflowers in our woods here and I'll have to see if this is one of them. It's been a spectacular year for wildflowers here. I'm glad your little one is lighting up your wild shade.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked karin_mt
  • dbarron
    9 years ago

H. divarticus is all over the woods here in Arkansas...esp on the edges of fields,etc, where there is more light. It's in peak bloom right now.

Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

UPDATE:

I really like this plant. It slowly but surely spreads but to my benefit. I have never seen it in a nursery but maybe because it isn't flashy enough. It definitely looks its best in a shady woodland setting.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    7 years ago

Nice to have something so bright lighting up your summertime shade areas. Most shade lovers quit after May.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • dbarron
    7 years ago

Yeah, only a native plant nursery would possibly carry it. As I said, it's ubiquitous here and gathering a few seeds would probably be all anyone has to do.

• karin_mt
    7 years ago

Swoon!

Original Author
    7 years ago

As I said, it's ubiquitous here

It is appealing that this plant has such a wide zone hardiness i.e. all the way from at 3 to 8.

• dbarron
    7 years ago

It's tough as nails, even growing under scrub oak (when I lived in Oklahoma)...you gotta admire plants that can tolerate that level of dryness and acid soils. I admire most native plants of course :)

• User
    7 years ago

Fingers flashing, I was googling for seeds immediately. I MUST have this for my woods.

• dbarron
    7 years ago

Did you find it Camp? I could possibly remember to go glean in a month or six weeks...though we'd possibly run afoul of the customs patrol in your country.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    7 years ago

I need this.

Lots and lots of it.

Original Author
    7 years ago

If I remember I will harvest some seeds for someone. Let me know.

• karin_mt
    7 years ago

Me me me!

Happy to trade, barter, or pay.

Original Author
    7 years ago

None of that 'karin'. I learn so much from all you guys and gals. Again the hard part will be remembering to harvest :(.

• karin_mt
    7 years ago

OK, well we'll just remind you every now and then. Thank you!

• Marie Tulin
    7 years ago

On line? Anyone find it?

• LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
    7 years ago

Hey Rouge, any updates on this one? Were/are you able to harvest the seeds?

Original Author
    7 years ago

I just came in from 'harvesting' what I believe are the seeds from the center of the flower. Here is a picture of them in a plastic baggie. Does this look right?

Of course I don't mind mailing them to GW members. Can you advise how to best do this?

• User
    7 years ago

I don't suppose you would send a few UKwards? Would happily reimburse postage. Or return the favour. Apparently, we are allowed seeds or dry matter. Very, very keen on this.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I would be glad to Campanula.

How do you suggest I 'pack' them for mailing so that they arrive to you safe and sound?

(I think I have messaging set up on GW...can you send me your address this way?)

• karin_mt
    7 years ago

Just messaged you Rouge!
    I think you can put the seeds in a plastic bag and then put a just a bit of padding, bubble wrap, etc around them and you'd be all set. A padded envelop would work well too. Even that may be overkill, but you wouldn't want a flat envelope to go through rollers or something like that that might crush the seeds.

Thank you for sharing your treasure! That's the wonderful spirit that many gardeners have.

• karin_mt
    7 years ago

As for permits and such, I've been trying to find the answer and it's
    not exactly clear. It looks like it's allowed but either a permit or a
    phytosanitary certificate might be required. It's hard to tell!

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/import-information/permits/plants-and-plant-products-permits/plants-for-planting/ct_permit_plantmaterials

• User
    7 years ago

Both Mara (wantonamara) and Virginia (after midnight) have sent seeds to the UK using just a plain envelope. It seems much harder to do an international transaction the other way round - from me to you...especially within California. And whilst I am in full agreement regarding the risks of uncontrolled global trade, this applies more to living plants, especially if soil is involved...although I have ordered plants from the EU and been astonished at the lax attitudes towards customs control with soil borne organisms.

Anyway, the smallest possible package would be gratefully received by me - half a dozen seeds then I will be able to harvest my own...and I am sure I can find something which would be interesting and appropriate for your zone - will clean the seeds so no chance of insects or microlife within the chaff.

• Marie Tulin
    7 years ago

Campanula ( I just can't call you Camps though you don't seem to mind)

If I'm able to get seeds, will you tell 'us' how to sow them? (when, how to store until,the medium etc Will they need a cold period?.) It's been decades since I've sown anything.

Thanks,

Marie

I finally stopped weeding the 10 foot x 30 strip next to the driveway, except for real weeds...garlic mustard, dandilions etc. Have tiny lavender asters, one pretty goldenrod coming, plus the reseeded columbines.

• User
    7 years ago

I have not noticed the helianthus family requiring much in the way of sratification...so would hold off planting them until late February. Astonishingly, there are NO woodland sunflowers available as seed or plants in the UK or EU - helianthus strumosus is the nearest I can get through B&T world seeds - so it would be new to me and I will have to check the germination requirements. I usually sow seed at the approximate time it would ripen in the wild...unless it was from a tender plant..but with a limited supply, my default sowing times are usually early spring. I sincerely doubt there will be any need for heat, lights or any special treatment other than sowing half a dozen seeds in a 5inch pot of a reasonable friable potting mix, covering with a layer of fine grit, watering and letting them get on with it in some sheltered spot outside. I would probably cover the pots with a perforated seed tray, enough to admit some light but keep out foraging birds and insects...but hey, we should have a communal sowing session and keep each other up to date. Seeds are cheap, addictive and completely thrilling.

I stumbled upon a Pictorial Meadow seed mix display in the week around some municipal tennis courts on one of the college greens...just as seeds were nicely ripe...and filled all my dog poo bags with seed heads (at least 7 of them) in a maniac redistribution/scavenging session (even collaring a couple of passing children to help).

Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

UPDATE 2017:

• Marie Tulin
    6 years ago

Rouge, I still have the seed you generously shared. I'm sure there are others more responsible than I was, so how and when did you (others) sow and what were the results this year?. I see no reason why the seed shouldn't be viable, having been sealed in the envelope in a dark drawer for a year (red with shame)

Campanula, I read your thoughts from last year on sowing. I don't know what you meant by a 'perforated seed tray' but I can spell "google" and look it up.

I'll get on with my reading. Do I really need to wait till February.? I suppose the seedlings won't withstand our cold unpredictable winters if they are just a few months old.

Rouge thanks for the update.

Marie

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Marie Tulin
  • princeton701
    6 years ago

Hi Rouge, I just pm'd you.

• Cathy Kaufell
    6 years ago

Before my township was heavily developed there used to be thousands growing in the wild fields. Have to look hard to see them now. Thanks for the pics.

Original Author
    6 years ago

And they only 'gently' spread. The drift you see above was from a single plant or maybe two from about 4 years ago.

• dbarron
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Well Rouge, in my experience, don't turn your back for more than a year, or you may find them grown up around you. They seem to have a way of suddenly they're everywhere. (maybe reseeding)/

They are definitely charming though.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Actually dbarron, they are in a location for which I am encouraging propagation.