Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So nice seeing this sunflower in deep shade

Posted by rouge21 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 14:03

I know it is always hard to quantify "shade" but this location never gets much if any direct sun. There is no doubt it could be considered (deep) shade. (The brightest can be seen in the picture below.).

I think it is known as a "Woodland Sunflower" (Helianthus divaricatus) and is very hardy (zone 3)

It is usually long and leggy but when surrounded with other woodland vegetation one generally only notices the flower. (I notice the leaves are raspy like sandpaper or a cat's tongue)

Mine is growing in dry clay shade.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 14:05

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So nice seeing this sunflower in deep shade

Nice. Looks like a wildflower. Did you plant that or is it a volunteer?

o

'karin', I transplanted it last year from a location a few hours from me. I had almost forgotten about it until I saw a few weeks ago distinguishing itself from the rest of the wild shade back there.

o

What a treat then! We have a season-long sequence of yellow, daisy-like wildflowers in our woods here and I'll have to see if this is one of them. It's been a spectacular year for wildflowers here. I'm glad your little one is lighting up your wild shade.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 10:06

H. divarticus is all over the woods here in Arkansas...esp on the edges of fields,etc, where there is more light. It's in peak bloom right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here