Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your favorite red flowered phlox paniculata?

Posted by rouge21 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 14:06

I "need" it to be a shorter variety with good disease resistance and sturdy stems.

(I have "Lord Clayton" but I am hoping for something shorter.)

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 6:05

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your favorite red flowered phlox paniculata?

I've been eying "Tequila Sunrise" for a bed I am developing. Nice short phlox (around 16"), blooms summer into late summer.

Not sure if "Tequila Sunrise" is red enough, but maybe it could work "color-wise" for you?

Deb

o

Thanks 'greg' for the suggestion. It looks a bit too orangey.

Has anyone had experience with Phlox "Red Flame"?

o

I like Red Riding Hood phlox. It has done well when others got mildew.
Rose

o

I had Red Flame 2 years ago. Bought a big potful. Taller than described. The plant looked beautiful, but did not come back after the winter. As if the whole thing disappeared WITHOUT A TRACE. All modesty aside, it only happened for me twice in my life, that a big clump of phlox did not come back. I'm totally clueless what happened to it.

o

All modesty aside, it only happened for me twice in my life, that a big clump of phlox did not come back.

And what was the other phlox that vanished from your garden?

o

I have 3 varieties of the Flame series: white, pink, and violet. But I have not tried the red one. They are all shorter, no more than 1.5 ft for a very mature one. They flower for a long time. They do re-seed so gave me more plants to move around.
Vivian

o

I have coral flame which seems like it falls into the height range you are looking for, but I suspect you want a deeper red.
I don't know if all the flame series are the same height... I just bought light pink flame and it seems slightly taller in the pot. I hope I stays that way but the label does read 18 inches so I'll have to wait and see.
Lord Clayton is on my list. I might already have it as an unlabeled plant but maybe having another would confirm that :)
I'm into red lately.

o

Rouge, the second was Kirchenfurst, but there was a possible explanaition(drowning). In the case of Red Flame there was no flooding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here