Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1st year review of Anemone 'Wild Swan'

Posted by christinmk z5b eastern WA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 14:17

I know Doug wanted to be informed of its progress so I thought I would start a post on it...

I'm loving it so far! It seems to be churning out the flowers faster than Ben & Jerry's churns out ice cream. Only things I have against it (and they are fairly minor so far):

1) it seems to get wilty now and again where I have it. Could be because it is a little sunnier and/or dryish here than it would like.

2) the flowers turn brown after flowering. I detest white flowers that do this...but it isn't a huge issue since it is where I can easily lop off their old heads...

3) not a complaint so much as an observation...this plant must be placed where you can easily see the backsides (hehehe!). The lavender/blue shading is subtle enough to be lost if you were to plant this Anemone too far from front of the border.

Here are some pics:

Flower close-up taken this spring
Anemone x 'Wild Swan' photo anemws_zps5a62e297.jpg

Whole plant pic taken today
Anemone x 'Wild Swan' photo anemws_zps205dd110.jpg

-Doug, didn't you say you contacted the breeder of this plant awhile ago? She didn't happen to mention how much it spreads did she? Just curious...
CMK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1st year review of Anemone 'Wild Swan'

Wish your Photobucket were working :(

o

Mine, unfortunately, didn't thrive. I'll leave it in place, and maybe it will come back next year. We had some heat spells at the worst time, and it may have gotten hit with too much overshoot from extablishing the small patch of sod. Given the chance, I'd try this one again. It is lovely.

o

I really appreciate you remembering me 'christin'...thanks very much.

Great pictures.

(If you have time could you take a picture a bit further back one can see the whole plant.)

It seems to be churning out the flowers faster than Ben & Jerry's churns out ice cream.

Now that is exciting to read. Lots to look forward to for others having or soon to have this unique perennial.

A few qs if you don't mind:

- I know this is the first year in the ground for you, but even so when did it first begin to flower for you?

(Supposedly one of the important difference of this anemone overall others is that flowering begins much earlier and there is consistent re-blooming all season)

- how tall is it with flowers?

I have 4 of these "Wild Swan" planted earlier this summer and I have positioned them in pairs in different garden beds on our property. (I have 2 of them planted nearer the foundation which I hope will give these 2 specimens to an edge in surviving their first winter as it isn't clear as to their zone hardiness.

Although all 4 of mine are healthy there are no signs of any flowers (see pic.below).

I am hoping they are a little less water needy in subsequent seasons when they are more established.

She didn't happen to mention how much it spreads did she?

And the other 'improvement' of this anemone over others is its "good behaviour" ie it does not spread.

o

-Sammy, sorry! I once had a place use one of my pics without permission, so I am a bit leery of opening my account to the public. Not sure if there is some setting I could have it on that would allow for views/comments but no copying??? No clue...

-Doug, in bloom it stands around 22 inches tall. It started to bloom a few weeks after planting it this spring. Next year will probably give a better idea what its 'real' bloom cycles are like.

Good to hear it isn't much of a spreader! That is what I thought about the water requirements- hopefully it won't require as much once fully established.
CMK

o

Thanks for that extra picture. That is exactly what I wanted to see.

It started to bloom a few weeks after planting it this spring

So it has been in continuous bloom since....sometime in...June?

(How many WS do you have 'christin'?)

If you remember you might want to provide some extra protective mulch for WS this fall/winter as according to its developer it really has never seen temps lower than
10 F!

o

Hummm...just looked back at a post from a couple months ago where I mentioned buying WS. I got it on May 15th.

Space is pretty limited here (until I rip out more, lol!), so I only got the one. Plus the nursery I got it from only had one left ;-)

Hopefully I remember to mulch. I'm terrible with that kind of thing. It is in a reasonably sheltered area though, so it might do fine without. We will see anyhoo!
CMK

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 15:36

Is this a spring-blooming A. sylvestris or a fall-blooming Japanese hybrid? It looks like a Jap. hybrid based on the foliage, but I'm not 100% sure - ? .

o

mxk3, it is a unique anemone in the sense that it is is a re bloomer.

From the developer's website:

Flowering is continuous from late May until November frosts.

o

Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 18:07

Oh. Well, then - where can we find it for sale?

o

-mxk3, it is a hybrid with multiple parents. Here was a site that explained its background a bit: My Garden Graham Rice

Monrovia has it. One of your local nurseries that carries this brand should be able to order it for you at some point...
CMK

o

CMK, I am just curious as to how your WS is looking right now, 2 months after your original post?

(My 4 are looking so very healthy BUT narry a blossom all season. I know that if I can get them through the winter there will be lots next season)

o

Hey Doug! It is still blooming a bit as a matter of fact. It took a short break awhile ago (perhaps in part from my forgetting to deadhead) and then started sending out a few more flowers.

The plant itself has bulked up a fair amount since I planted it. Still a nice compact clump and zero signs of spreading.

A pic of it today...sorry it's not very good.
CMK

o

On the contrary that is a fine picture...thanks. (Love that blue underside on those petals).

As I nagged about earlier ;), please try to remember to provide some extra protection for winter...some extra mulch?

o

Any idea where I can buy Wild Swan (or other Japanese Anemones that can do well here on the relatively mild side of West Los Angeles, for that matter)? My local nurseries never have them; perhaps because it's too warm for them here, but I have a part-shady spot that might suit them and I'd like to try them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

Thanks!

o

Have you tried asking at an Armstrong Nursery if they could special order Wild Swan from Monrovia for you? I suspect, though, that there was not an adequate supply from Monrovia to meet the first year release demand. The places I have seen them had only a few plants, and those sold quickly. They never got more in during the remainder of the season. It generally takes at least a few years for the growers to build up stock for new plants. And lovely Wild Swan seems to have drawn a lot of interest.
Most nurseries in Southern California sell anemones during this time of year, their bloom period. I'm not familiar with the nurseries located in your area; sorry I can't be of more help.

o

Thanks. Yes I did contact Monrovia and the Armstrong and other nurseries within driving distance, but no luck. In fact, they had no Japanese Anemones of any kind, did not know if they would get any in, and were unsure if they could special order them for me now. I was a bit surprised that no one seemed to have anything, since this seems like the time of year that I've noticed them in stock before. I will keep looking -- I'd really like to try my hand with Wild Swan and/or Hadspen Abundance if only I could find them -- but fear I'll have to wait until next year ...

o

I always thought anemones were some of the nicest flowers but the short bloom season always bothered me. Rouge- I wonder if next year yours will bloom for as long as christin's, maybe they need to experience a winter before going into blooming mode, I know some chrysanthemums won't bloom until they go through that vernalization.
The brown blooms might bug me a little after the flowers fade.... Also a pet peeve of mine. White butterfly bushes love to do this too.

o

'kato', I am very confident that if my 4 WS make it through their first winter that they will be outstanding ie.. early and long flowering anemones.

But this may well be a big IF as from what I know, WS has not been tested for winter hardiness much below 10F!

o

I am curious to see how this plant overwinters for all of you. It sure is lovely!

o

Deleted double post...grrr

This post was edited by ispahan on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 10:06

o

Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 10:29

I saw "Wild Swan" at the local nursery yesterday. Wasn't impressed with the growth habit in the pot - was looking a bit weedy, not nice tight mounded foliage like Japanese anemones. I do realize that sometimes plants look different in the ground, though. There were no blooms on any of them. I would have bought a pot or two just to try, but the price was $16.99 with only 20% off, that's too high for me to buy something just for the heck of it, to try. Anyway, I guess I can go back in a week or two if I'm in the area to see if they slash the price for end of the season. Otherwise, not this year.

o

I am curious to see how this plant overwinters for all of you

I planted 4 of these plants in mid June 2013. I did my best to mulch them significantly this past fall but even so I will be shocked if they do make it through this already very trying winter. Right now it shows -20 C (= -4 F) on the thermometer with this cold snap continuing for the foreseeable future. .

o

-Doug, please do let us know in spring how they did. I will be very interested in your findings.

Some leaves from the tree out front happened to gather around mine, but aside from that I didn't cover it. I'm going with the tough love approach to plant care, lol. ;-)
CMK

o

That must be pretty tall. What a show of flowers.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 13:59

Now if we could hear from someone in a hotter part of the country (south maybe)? (I want to know how it does here) :)

o

CMK, with the temperature today at an almost record setting -11F there could be several "zone pushing" perennials and trees that will be in plant heaven come this spring.

Or on the bright side...any plant that survives this winter can survive any winter.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 14:25

o

-jujujojo, 'WIld Swan' is probably middle height as far as Anemones go. I'd say it was around 18in or so.

-dbarron, hopefully someone will have that info for you next year ;-) My gut instinct says this one probably wouldn't be to keen on hot/humid conditions though...

-Doug, I suppose there is some benefit in having plants die. Those of us with small or full yards will be able to see it as an opportunity to plant new things. LOL.
CMK

o

Mine too (that's why I asked)...and I liked the looks of it :)
Yeah, the winter is punishment for those of us in zone denial.

o

• Posted by vasue 7A Charlottesville (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 11:37

Love anemones, but haven't planted them here because of the usually brief bloomtime in my neck of the woods (3 weeks), so this report really caught my eye. Thanks for the heads-up! The long bloom, simple wildflower form & non-roving nature really add to its charm.

At the link below, found the new "Shop Monrovia" which allows online orders to be shipped for free to your local Monrovia dealer garden center for pick up, beginning early this year. This "Coming Soon" link is at the top left of the page. Their "find a retailer" shows that they've recently (whenever that may have been) delivered pots of White Swan to a local center, but don't like that particular outfit. Nice to know I should be able to have it shipped to another business I do appreciate. May answer the where to buy question for many of us intrigued by this variety.

Listed for zones 6-8 on that site, but I take their recommendations with a good dose of salt since they're usually very conservative on that score. Also noted "partial shade to partial sun" & wondering if, like hydrangeas, more shade than noonday sun applies here as you move further South?

With luck, will be trying it here come Spring...

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Swan

o

Bought one more to try. It is a better time of year to plant and there was a 20% off coupon to use. I worried a bit about that the 6-8 zone listed (I am in z9), but A. Honorine Jobert is listed at zone 4-8 and thrived at our old house. We'll see.

o

• Posted by vasue 7A Charlottesville (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 10:42

Shop Monrovia isn't showing Wild Swan available - drat. Trying to find another mailorder supplier, came across this info indicating zones 5-9. Get the feeling this hasn't been widely grown yet across the USA...

Hope those who've planted them previously enjoy their survival through this harsh Winter. Let us know. Anyone finding a dependable American supplier, please share.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Swan Info

o

My new Wild Swan seems to be much happier. I planted it among some bromeliads, where the morning sun gives way to bright, dappled shade and the soil retains more moisture. It also probably helps that it isn't late in the season and right before a heat wave, as were the circumstances with the first plant.

o

So three of my 4 WS did survive their first winter (I have already replaced the dead one).

The 3 that did survive are vigorous and appear healthy but narry a bloom or even a flower bud in sight (just as was the case last season)!

CMK, I am almost afraid to ask if yours have begun to flower again.

'Gyr' maybe/probably yours has been flowering for some time now given the much more moderate climate.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 22:40

o

-Doug, not to worry, my plant is nowhere near blooming!

It is smaller than it was at the end of last season too. Looks more like the size it was when first purchased that spring.

This winter was a difficult one on my garden (lost a number of things), so it might have been stunted by that. Last year it didn't really "get going" until summer, so maybe it will do the same this time around.

Just how robust are yours? Similar to your pic from last year or bigger?

Regarding not blooming...do you use a fertilizer? If so, how high is the nitrogen? A phosphorus high fertilizer might help promote blooming.
CMK

o

The two plants close to the foundation of the house are as large as they were at the end of last season. I am not concerned that the health of the soil; lots of organic material. They are side by side in this picture, each about 14" high by about 18" wide.

o

Mine hasn't bloomed yet. In fact, it look about the same as it did in the April photo. The nearby experimental Grevillea x gaudichaudi has far outpaced it, and I have to keep redirecting the blooming branches so Swannie doesn't get covered. So far I'm liking the grevillea better. [Just trying to nudge Swan into doing s-o-m-e-t-h-I-n-g. ;) ]

o

'Falcon be sure to let us know when it does put forth those wonderful flowers.

o

Today I notice what I surmise are flower buds.

o

Those do look like buds! Congrats ;-)
CMK

o

So two of my 3 WS will be in full bloom before July 1st. Take a look as of this morning. (One can see the light mauve which will be on the underside of the petals).

Do you see flower buds on your plants CMK and Falcon?

o

Nice!

My plant is looking a lot fuller now.

I thought I saw what would eventually become a bud the other day. It will likely be awhile before it develops...will keep you posted.
CMK

o

Not much going on with mine yet. Some additional foliage has filled in, and it is a few inches taller, but no buds to be seen.

o

As of today:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here