OT: a katydid ... MMM mmm Good!

paul_
10 years ago

At least Hairy-et thought so ....

{{gwi:262273}}

Comments (13)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I was not expecting that - gulp - I REALLY was not expecting that! And to think I kind of freaked out the other day when I walked into (with my face) a spider web out my back door. Your guy gives freaking out a whole other meaning.

Kevin

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 2:01

• User
    10 years ago

yum, dinner....and now, some after food relaxation. Having a terrible bee and wasp phobia, I cowered in the horsebox while daughter whipped out her camera to photograph hornet sex.

apols for orientation.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

Waaaaaayyyy too much bug activity for me lately. I killed at least three hobos ((SPIDERS, btw!!! Lol)) yesterday. Then while weeding at work last week I managed to get a huge praying mantis on my ummm.....upper deck lady bits. At least it didn't decide to go down my shirt- or the landscapers might have got an eyeful while I screamed and striped LOL. :o)
    CMK

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Man up" there, Kevin! j/k heh

â¢Posted by GreatPlains1
    Ah shucks, and here I was wantin' to git my warm fuzzy for the day.

Well, Hairy-et's fuzzy .....

â¢Posted by christinmk
    Waaaaaayyyy too much bug activity for me lately.

That sentiment is one of the main reasons why my mom has zero desire to ever live down South or in the tropics ever again.

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 2:02

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Hey I like Katydids! Check out the pink ones... I just found out about them last week, never even suspected.
    Bummer for the cricket.... I wonder what his last thoughts were?
    This mantis was giving me the 'whadaya think yur lookin at' look.

Here is a link that might be useful: pink katydid images

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 2:03

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

That is what I get for opening a thread without reading the full title! ;) Good thing I like Spiders and bugs.

For those curious about the impaled cricket, his final thought was probably "Shrike!" A shrike is a gray and black bird that is known for catching insects and lizards, and similar food items, and impaling their bodies on thorns or barbed wire. Keeps them handy for a later snack.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Campanula, you'll be happy to know that your 'wasps ' are mimics.....they are moths. What they might be up to, I don't know. Many wasp mimicking moths are borers.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Wow, I would have never noticed that. Looking back I see the antenna and fuzzy body.... Probably the coolest thing I'll see today and might I add I'm cleaning out under the kid's car seats.... Many equally surprising discoveries there too, but mummified cereal bits dont even come close to the moths!
    Still feel bad for the cricket... While chuckling a bit at the same time.

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

â¢Posted by Gyr_Falcon
    For those curious about the impaled cricket, his final thought was probably "Shrike!"

I figured the cricket had been impaled intentionally, but had completely forgotten about shrikes' habit of doing so. Thanks for the reminder!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

My first thought when I saw this title was that you ATE some, you know like cicadas? I thought katydids were the new gourmet bug of choice!

Great pics in this thread.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor