Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing Ferns; Holly Fern

Posted by arbo_retum z5 ,WinchstrMA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 07 at 14:45

I have had luck dividing maidenhair and japanese painted ferns any time during the growing season.Have you? I now want to divide japanese holly fern. new to me this past year, it has been very happy and has enlarged considerably. does this divide like the other types I mentioned and does it matter when I do it? I appreciate your experience
Best,
Mindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing Ferns; Holly Fern

Mindy, are you sure you want to do this?
I grow Cyrtomium fortunei, the most hardy of all of Jap. holly ferns and had a hard time to get it established in my zone. To keep it alive was another challenge.
You are lucky to find a spot where it overwintered (do I read it correct?) for you, so I wouldn't touch it at all and most definitely not at this time of the year.
Are we talking about same fern?

o
george

yes, we are talking about the same fern. wow, yipeeee!!!!
something is happy with me that's difficult to grow? that's just a miracle!! anyway, when can i divide it? and have you had luck, as i have, dividing jap painted ferns and maidenhair ferns- in midsummer(july/aug)? i just divided one of my really happy maidenhairs and she didn't even skip a beat.

best,
mindy

o

I've moved painted ferns at different times of the year and in some cases they split apart on their own. All parts survived and prosper.
I don't have any maidenhair ferns growing now. Tried once, drowned it and never bought again. I should try it again.
Re: Cyrtomium. I've read somewhere that they are easy from seeds indoor. Maybe instead of dividing it you want to try it from seeds which holly ferns produce in abundance. Just a thought.

o
george

george, why did you say not to divide "especially not now"
if other ferns have been divided well throughout the season?
seeds are a no go for me unfortunately.
thanks,
mindy

o

I've been looking at mine and pondering whether to divide it or no. If I do decide I think I will do it in the spring.

o

this site says e spring or fall, so here i go...!

Here is a link that might be useful: j. holly fern info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here