Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginnier_gw

Beauty Bush

ginnier
14 years ago

Anybody enjoying a Beauty Bush (Kolkwitzia)? I'm hearing from a friend that these are so pretty in bloom. What's your experience? Worth it? Long lived? Pictures? I'm also looking for feedback on the doublefile viburnum that has the real straight rows of blooms. I've had a different viburnum for the last 18 years and the flowers stunk even tho they were pretty! Thanks

Comments (13)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Ginnier, Kolkwitzia is one of my favorites I've had mine for over 20 years. Every couple of years or so I cut out some of the older branches, this is an easy care shrub with no special needs. Not the best pics but will give you an idea of how it looks.

{{gwi:262497}}
    {{gwi:262499}}

Annette

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

We have had one for 30 years. It is growing on the north side of a Maple and gets just a couple of hours of morning sun but still puts out a decent bloom. It has been given no attention except for a rare pruning. It never has insect or disease problems, it has never had a yellow leaf on it, either from too much or too little water, despite we forget to water it most of the time. It has no fall color, it never reseeds. Beginning the first of June, it begins to bloom for about a month and mine is very fragrant, despite never reading anywhere that they are supposed to be. I would not say it is a specimen plant, but is a great addition where you could use the fragrance but have other 'star performers' when it is out of bloom.

This is in an area that needs renovation and I've had plans to accompany this with other shrubs, but it always seems to be last on my list, due to the out of way area it is growing in. Not a very good photo, prettier in person.

{{gwi:262500}}

• flora2b
    14 years ago

Here is a pic of my kolkwitzia....I agree not a specimen plant, but very easy care, deer proof, pretty for a short while and has a nice umbrella shape.

{{gwi:262501}}
    {{gwi:262502}}

I also have a new variety with yellow foliage called 'Dream Catcher' ...don't know how it is going to grow yet.
    Flora

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I just bought 'Dream Catcher' as a small shrub from Bluestone. It is pretty tiny and doesn't seem to be very vigorous yet. I have no idea where to plant it at the moment, but I do like the color of the foliage. I'm sort of waiting to see what it will do.

• Donna
    14 years ago

prairiemoon, I will be interested to hear how your Dream Catcher performs. I have eyed it many times over the last few years.

I have had a kolkwitzia for about four years. So far, it's a disappointment. This year it finally bloomed a very little bit and the blooms were here and gone in a week. I was planning to pull it out this fall, but after seeing this pix, I may give it one more year...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Is yours in full sun Donna? Maybe it takes awhile to start blooming. I added a cornus tree a few years ago and the first year I had no bloom. The second a few blooms and the next year, I had a ton. I was looking at that first photo and realize that mine would have more bloom with more sun. I am just impressed with this shrub because it actually blooms at all in the low light, difficult position it is in and the neglect that I give it. The fragrance is what keeps it around for me.

• Donna
    14 years ago

I think it gets plenty of sun, but it is very close to trees, if that makes sense. It's a southern exposure and the tree limbs are very high. I noted what you said, though, and I may dig it and move it further from the trees so that it gets all day sun, rather than from mid afternoon on. It sometimes suffers drought from the trees too, though it has never seemed to be bothered (other than the fact that it doesn't bloom). Do you think this might be a factor?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Donna, We ripped out our entire back yard in 2004 and started from scratch. We only had two trees in the backyard, but our neighbors have lots of trees and they planted them within 5 ft of our fence line in most cases. On the north side of our small 1/4 acre property, the neighbor planted 7 Spruce trees all very close to each other in addition to a huge Sycamore Tree that is about 10ft from the fence line. On the West Side there are 4 Silver Maples. On the Southwest corner the neighbor has a 60yr old Silver Maple Tree within 8ft of our fence. So you can imagine the time I've had trying to find plants that will survive in dry shade with that much root competition.

I have thought that I was watering a lot in past seasons, but this year, we had a lot of rain and I noticed many plants that have done better and put on more growth than in previous years. So I must conclude that the trees normally are just sucking the moisture out of the soil. My Kolkwitzia is in the dripline on the north side of a maple tree, but, it's been there for over 30 years and I don't know how much shade and root competition it had when it was getting established.

I think if you are getting 4 hrs of sun in the afternoon, that should be enough to get moderate bloom. As much as the bloom in my photo, because I don't get more than that. If you want full bloom like the first photo on this thread, I think you would need more sun than that. I've never had that much bloom. I wonder if the dry conditions with root competition from the trees, might be causing the shrub to establish slower?

You could move it, but if you have the patience, I might try it where it is one more year and consistently give it more water every week and early next spring, maybe a fertilizer. I tried working alfalfa pellets in a circle around the base of my roses this spring and again after the first flush of bloom and wow what a difference that made. Next year, I want to do that to a lot more shrubs in the yard. [g]

I'm no expert on shrubs believe me, I just thought my experiences might be helpful. People over on the Shrub forum are always helpful too.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

I love my beautybush too! You do have to have patience with the youg plants - they take 5 or more years to mature enough to start blooming. But a mature beautybush is a stunner when it blooms. Nicely scented too. In the first couple of years after I planted the beautybush my DH said a few times 'Why don't we get rid of that shrub on the back wall - it's getting big but never blooms. It probably isn't getting enough light or something.' Then one day he came back from a walk and said' You've got to come see this beuatiful, scented shrub down by the lake!' When we got there, I looked at it and said 'You know that shrub you want to remove at the back of the house? This is what it will become in a few years...' He now denies he ever suggested removing it :-)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

It really doesn't look like much when not in bloom, I don't think, but in the background with more exciting plants around it that have interest for the time it's not in bloom, and I think it is a very worthwhile shrub. I love the fragrance and look forward to it every year. It's a very different smell.

Woody, it sounds like your DH really enjoys the garden and the 'journey' almost as much as you do. :-) It's great that he is so interested.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

My Beauty Bush (the first photo) gets full sun all day and to tell the truth isn't watered very often, it also doesn't have to deal with too much root competition. I love the golden foliage on Dreamcatcher, the only problem is I'm running out of space :o).

Annette

• Donna
    14 years ago

Okay. This is helpful. I will be patient...fertilize more...water too. You all can rest tonight knowing you saved a life...:)

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Beautybush isn't as popular as some of the other shrubs sold in nurseries, because it takes a few years to start to bloom. I grew one at my previous house. It has to get fairly big and mature before it blooms, but then of course it blooms every year. Takes up quite a bit of space as well. Another reason for its lack of popularity for small city lots.