Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solution for Gardenia Scales + Ants

Posted by akaurgardener 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 15:00

I have a beautiful yellow gardenia that is blooming well, but I just noticed that it has scales and a lot of ants.

I've been spraying with neem oil and washing off the ants, but I'm not sure if either of those help with scales.

Does anyone have a solution that helps rid gardenias of scales?

My gardenia is young (purchased this year), in a large clay pot, and I fertilize it with Hollytone. It's otherwise healthy, until the scales hit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solution for Gardenia Scales + Ants

I've had good luck controlling ants with Terro borax ant traps. Borax is non toxic.

Not sure about scales, maybe someone else can weigh in on that. (doh! nice pun)

o

I think insecticidal soap will work. Here's one that gets rid of a bunch of things, including scales. I've used this brand for grasshoppers and aphids, and it works great. I had also tried making my own insecticidal soap, which didn't work as well, so then went searching and I had a friend recommend Safer Brand. I use NOCDOWN III (cedar based and organic) for ant issues. I hope this helps. By the way...Nice pun Karen!

Here is a link that might be useful: Insecticidal Soap

o

Your oil should control the scale which is feeding the ants. When the scale is gone so will the ants disappear. Spray your oil weekly for at least 3 weeks, early in the morning when the foliage is cool. Al

o

i would prefer a picture.. and an actual ID of the pest .. before we rely on the diagnosis ...

killing scale with oil.. is extremely hit and miss ... and timing is imperative ...

ignore the ants.. if in fact the problem is scale.. than the ants are eating the honeydew they produce... get id of the scale.. [or aphids].. and the ants go mind their own business ...

if you can not post a pic.. then cut off a small branch.. and take it to a local high end nursery ... as compared to bigboxstore ...

ken

o

Thanks to everyone who has responded!

Here is a picture:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here