Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

I love Rudbeckia triloba

aachenelf z5 Mpls
13 years ago

Does anyone out here love this plant the way I do? No pests, no disease, does fine with some shade, tons of flowers, long bloom season. Yes, it will reseed like crazy if you allow it to do so, but hoe out the ones you donÂt want or cut it back before the seeds drop. I happen to love the color gold for late summer and fall  it just seems "right" in my mind and this is definitely gold. I know this is a common plant, but I really donÂt hear people talking about it all that often.

{{gwi:262958}}

{{gwi:262959}}

Kevin

Comments (19)

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

You're right -- it's definitely underused.

• scottyboipdx
    13 years ago

It is a true gem, I've envied it in other gardens for years, finally found one at the Hardy Plant Society Sale last fall and grabbed it! This year (it's first year in the garden) It's fully 5' tall and at least 3' wide and just about to start blooming. I'm hoping to get a bunch of seedlings for planting in my parking strip next year, they really do personify "fall" for me too. Love your grouping of them...stunning!

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

I think I must be really out of it. I spent some time comparing it to bl eyed susans; isn't it v. similar to BES except fewer petals, and notched like coreopsis? lovely swath!
    th much,
    best,
    mindy

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    13 years ago

I discovered it 3 years ago and wow-what a performer. It blooms for me for almost 2 months straight. It is in bloom already this year so if it goes until frost that will be 3 months here.
    Oh, one thing-do not plant two of them close to each other as they cannot share the spotlight.
    It's like making sure two pretty girls at a party are at opposite ends of the room!

• v1rt
    13 years ago

I have it and it's 4 ft tall. :) What I noticed is that I don't see any damage leaf/flower damage. Amazing!!! :)

• v1rt
    13 years ago

I have it and it's 4 ft tall. Amazing that I don't see any leaf/flower damage. :)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, it is a pretty amazing plant. I kind of overdid it this year and have it everywhere, but you just can't beat it for trouble free blooms. I've noticed goldfinches really like the seeds late in the season, so it's kind of hard to cut it back once the frost cuts it down.

Kevin

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

I fell in love with it first time I saw it last year. Got some R. triloba seeds through a swap. They are blooming now, first year, and they definitely aren't R. triloba. Boo hoo! I think I might just purchase seeds to WS, just to be sure they really are R. triloba. It is SO dainty, sweet, and beautiful. I love its height, too.

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    13 years ago

I forgot to add one of my favorite pics of this stunner.
    Note the poor 'Goldsturm' at the lower right.

{{gwi:262960}}
    R triloba

• grandmachris
    13 years ago

Rudbeckia Triloba is one of several plants I never purposely planted, it just arrived unannounced many years ago. 20? It acts like a biennial around here--in other words it comes every year but not in the same place so I expect the current plant dies and next year's plants must be seedlings. I weed them out all spring and early summer and still there are plenty left to surprise and delight in late summer and into fall. Wouldn't be without them.

Chris

• terrene
    13 years ago

R. triloba does the same thing for me Grandmachris, I've got some clumps out there that will make great bloomers next year and I do weed out a few here and there.

These pics look beautiful, I wouldn't even post a pic of mine this year it looks like crap and so does the R. hirta (Mindy they are very different in growth habit). It is very dry here and I am hand watering due to a voluntary outdoor watering ban. Unfortunately the Rudbeckia isn't getting watered.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I just planted my first Rudbeckia triloba last year. It isn't blooming yet but it is in a tough spot sandwiched in between a sedum and a miscanthus.

Scott, love your blog! Wonderful transformation and great pictures. I thought my lot was small but yours is smaller than mine. What a wonderful job you've done.

• MollyDog
    13 years ago

I love the black centers on tribola...looks great in the mass plantings dandyline.

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

scott, that before and after photo duo is really the best one could see for "look what a garden can do for your property value!" real estate ad. do send it in to fine gardening photo of the day!

i love the effect of cascading plants down a slope.
    trellises up the porch soon? congrats on all your hard work!
    best,
    mindy

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

I love this Rudbeckia. I saw it for the first time about 8 years ago at a garden center. I didn't know then what it was called, but fell in love with its dainty flowers and thought it would bridge the gap between R. 'Goldsturm' and some fall bloomers.

I finally got some seeds from trades 4 - 5 years ago. Now I have it everywhere in the garden. :-D

• aardvark411
    13 years ago

I also love this plant. It is probably not more popular because nurseries don't want to invest the time in growing it into it's 2nd year. It seeds itself in my garden and long ago I learned to recognize the first year rosettes. My father collected seeds from my cousin's garden in the '70s and this plant has had many happy generations blooming ever since.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm happy to see others really like this plant too. I always thought it kind of odd no one mentioned it when they spoke of rudbeckias in general.

aardvark - You're probably right about why this isn't seen in nurseries very often. My plants originally came from a very, very odd lady in my neighborhood. She lived in this totally run down shack - had a a big yard completely over run with weeds and stuff, but also had this plant growing everywhere. Somehow we struck up kind of a friendship and she gave me a couple plants. After she died, we found out she was a multimillionaire, but while she was alive she wanted everyone to think she was a dirt poor and kind of crazy. She succeeded I guess.

Kevin

• ontnative
    13 years ago

Yeah, I think that regular nurseries don't stock it because it is a biennial or triennial in most areas of the country. Usually you can find either seeds (at any time) or plants (in the spring) from wildflower nurseries or societies. Great plant.

• quercusrobur
    13 years ago

I was just admiring mine this morning, about all 4' of it. I love it but just wish I could get it to reseed in the empty areas I need it. It always comes up underneath other plants and smothers them.
    Also, septoria destroyed my 'Goldsturms' this year but not a spot on R. triloba. Also, sold bouquets of it at my garden center and they hold up great. Next year I'll just move the seedlings where I want them.
    May I also recommend, I have mine weaving through Caryopteris incana 'Snow Fairy' another unsung hero, and they're awesome together.