Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
victory_tea2085

suggest an orange flowering shrub?

victory_tea2085
10 years ago

I need one to finish my "orange" garden. I live in zone 6, would like it to flower in July and be no taller than 6 feet. I have searched endlessly and have yet to find a shrub as described. Thank You- Paul

Comments (24)

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Would you consider a rose? If so there are some that meet your criteria. For me, 'Morden Sunrise' does all of the things you are seeking. It's orange fading to yellow and it looks righteous planted with orange daylilies. (I don't have a photo of that combo though.)

This post was edited by karin_mt on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 16:23

• Freda
    10 years ago

There are orange Potentilla bushes. Don't think those get very tall.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Hmmm, all the orange shrubs I can think of have some hardiness issues for you. Would you be prepared to protect a shrub over winter? If so, the usual suspects are streptosolen jamesonii aka marmalade bush. Or one of the bomareas. Mutisia or eccremocarpus are climbers but would grow over an obelisk, while the amazing Thalia fuschia is quite lovely. Finally, off the top of my head, the orange mimulus, aurianticus, flowers for months. The shrubby potentillas are, I think, much too short and, as Karin suggests, there are many roses which would fit the bill.

• victory_tea2085
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've read that the "Murdens" are susceptible to "black spot" and if true I don't want to fight it. I have 3 orange roses in my garden "Chris Everett" ( I think) and another I have forgotten the name of. They are absolutely beautiful. I would like to put a rose shrub in the space I am thinking of, my 3 roses bloom before the Alabama Jubillee daylillies do. Thank you for your time and suggestion- maybe I will go for the "Murden". How did you know my "orange" garden is primarily daylillies?BTW, I did try Mango Tango potenttilla but the floweers were a bright yellow. I do like them , though. Paul

This post was edited by victory_tea2085 on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 18:25

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Yes, many orange roses are derived from 'Austrian Copper' and they are all disease-prone. The Morden breeding program strives to make rugged, healthy roses that do well in cold climates. (The Morden agricultural research station is in Canada.) I have not had any problems with Morden Sunrise but then again, I live in a frigid, arid climate where the typical plant diseases don't really exist. So if you find out more about these roses in your climate that would be helpful.

I'm sure there are other orange roses that would work - but since I'm in zone 4 my vocabulary is limited.

Of course you have orange daylilies because there is just no possibility of having an orange garden without them. :)

• jadeite
    10 years ago

I don't know how globe mallow would grow in your area, but this is a glowing orange, native to the hot dry west. I plan to put this into the garden next year. Supposedly there are varieties which will survive Z4 or 5.

Cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: globe mallow

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Well... not a perennial, but would you consider tithonia? I've had them get about 5 or 6 feet tall, they start blooming in July, and the blooms are just gorgeous (IMO).

Dee

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

Some clones of Rhododendron prunifolium are quite orange . You can use a pair of scissors to keep them below 6 feet.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    10 years ago

Paprika OSO Easy rose would be perfect in an orange garden! Not a bit of blackspot - wonderful glossy foliage and nice hips too. It's a bit short at 2' or so but definitely worth adding to an orange-themed bed!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Also take a look at "Livin easy" rose, it's a bit taller and does a great job foliage wise in my garden (where others have failed) It's got a bright orange bloom that I love and reblooms all summer. I don't think it would like a zone much colder than mine.... in a bad winter it dies back quite a bit. I should probably cover it. :)
    Karin I love the look of that rose, the pink one's not too shabby either!

• jacqueinthegorge
    10 years ago

I think a buddleia globose would be just the ticket - a very pleasant orange, blooms early summer, attractive leaves.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Please don't forget that an ALL ONE COLOR garden is, well, forgettable. Add white here and there to make the orange stand out and one more color sparingly to POP. I love to use color wheel opposits to achieve this design essential. With orange, a splash of blue or purple is remarkable.

Think 75% different shades of orange/corals/red-orange and 25% combination of whites and blues. That's a spectacular orange garden.

• victory_tea2085
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When would the buddleia globose flower? I have a multicolored butterfly bush in the orange garden but flowers in mid-late August. rhizo, thanks for the lesson on color- I will employ it in my garden. Thanks- Paul

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Hey - just a thought. The other thing that looks neat in an all-orange garden is orange berries. Our mountain ash tree has orange berries above orange daylilies and 'Morden Sunrise' and it adds an unexpected twist of color. There are other orange-berried plants out there that I don't know of, but it's just another idea.

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 1:30

• victory_tea2085
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Greatplains, I like the idea- what zone are you in and what zones are "grunge free"? Paul

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 1:31

• victory_tea2085
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am trying really hard to find and orange color that would sync with my Alabama jubilees. When would the Pyracantha bushes show orange berries. I ruled out mountain ash for 2 reasons- too big and berries are late summer, early fall (but thank you Karin for the thought). An "orange" garden is a real challenge, but I love it!!! Paul

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Edited to remove duplicated post.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 17:14

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 1:32

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Answer key!

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 1:33

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Funny that your photo was asked about Karin. I've passed it by several times in reading this thread, and each time I admired the rose. For some reason this evening as I was scrolling past it yet again to read the newest posts to this thread, it really caught my eye, and I was going to comment on really what a nice garden it is! I don't know why it took me so long to really see it, but thank you for sharing it!

:)
    Dee

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Another example:

{{gwi:263206}}

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!