Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazydaisies

Swamp Milkweed Question

This is my first summer working on my pollinator garden and I planted four young swamp milkweed this that I purchased from our farmers market this summer. Each plant had two canes growing. Including a picture of what they looked like when I first planted them.

They've grown quite a bit taller and one of them has even bloomed but they have not grown any additional canes. I'm in no hurry and understand plants need time to establish roots before they usually take off but I am wondering how these spread as they mature so that I can plant accordingly.

Will they grow additional canes as they mature or will they just grow two canes every year? I plan on planting more next year but wanted to make sure that I don't plant too many since i know these don't like to be transplanted.

If anyone has any pictures of what theirs look like matured that would be so helpful. Having this growing in my garden has really been a joy. I'm currently raising two monarch caterpillars I found in my garden. Looking forward to releasing them as butterflies.

Thank you :o)
Michaela

Comments (5)