Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlias near me

Posted by rouge21 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 15:40

I see this beside driveway display each year but I always, until now, forget to take a picture or two.

Speaking with the homeowner, he harvests the tubers each and every fall and so these same flowers are planted each spring (possibly in a different order!)

photo dahlias1_1_zps13987fa4.jpg

photo dahlias2_1_zps8a2785ba.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlias near me

Wow! I wish he was my neighbor!

o

Very colorful! My dahlias always seem to bloom in September!

Dee

o

Yes, wow! I'd be nervous about having them so close to the curb, particularly with all the hard work that goes into this kind of display. Seems like all it would take is one rogue truck backing into the driveway and it all goes down the drain...

o

Awesome! The best kind of dahlias to enjoy are someone else's dahlias. :)

The very concept of them is way too much maintenance for me, but I sure do like to look at them!

o

Very pretty, rouge.

I use medium-sized or small dahlias in sunny small or narrow places too.

As with annuals like geraniums (pelargoniums) they have the advantage of not seeding.

Personally I don't find them much work, but they do need to be accessible for the deadheading that keeps the blooming going.

o

Really nice. You seem to find the most interesting gardens around your neighborhood, I wish I could do the same around here.
I like that they're almost all the same height yet the colors are so different... plus of course they look perfectly grown. He's got the system down perfectly.

o

Beautiful. I admire your neighbor's diligence and persistence.

I find Dahlias too much work. I went through the ritual: digging them up, cleaning, dividing, storing, then doing it all over again the next fall. I went through that ritual a few years then completely gave it up.

I gave up on replanting Gladiolus too. It is worse with Gladiolus because Glads do not keep on blooming like Dahlias. At least, with Glads, if I plant the corms deep enough, they will return for several years.

Kudos to your neighbor and lucky you to have such beautiful decor to your driveway.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 13:12

They are beautiful, but lifting and storing isn't for me.

o

I love the various colours; they really come together when they are planted in a swath and are a similar height.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here