Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

Cutting back all of my perennial hibiscus

ryseryse_2004
10 years ago

I hope it won't hurt them. It is just painful to see each bud open and the flower looks like dirty lace. The Japanese Beetles have been horrendous this year and have just made a huge mess of my Hibiscus. So - I am cutting them all back. There isn't any point in leaving the mess and then letting them all go to seed.

I sure don't need any more seedlings and would rather have them cut back than see the sad leaves and flowers.

Next year I will definitely prune them down so they begin blooming later - hopefully after the JBs have exited.

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the question would be .. and i dont know the answer ...

even green stems feed the root system .. but if you cut them all down.. and they reflush in sept ... when for most of us in z5 ... they freeze down in mid oct or so ...

will they have stored enough energy... for next spring ...

since i dont recall ever seeding a seedling in my z5.. i suspect you are in the warmer z5 ... and perhaps the issue is moot ...

anyone got some answers???

ken

• growlove
    10 years ago

I am in zone 4 so when my hibiscus makes it through the winter, I am thrilled. I would cut off the flowers if they are unsightly, but wouldn't risk weakening the plant by cutting it back. It could possible cause it to put forth tender new foliage which will be killed at first frost. Mary

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

I'm in zone 5 too, and never ever saw a seedling on hibiscus moschusus (I know I mispelled it but if I leave this to check, I'll lose the post)
    Might you be talking about Rose of Sharon, "althea"?
    Now those suckers would populate the earth if you gave them
    the opportunity.
    An observation, with no criticism intended: this is why using the Latin name is so important. Even if one always uses common names in everyday conversation, on these forums where people from all over the country (world, actually) post, Latin nomenclature is the great equalizer....or maybe the universal language that eliminates all the "do you mean"s and "are you talking about's"
    Just a thought for all of us to mull over.....

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Latin would be good, but the OP mentioned "perennial hibiscus"... but I see your point on the latin.
    I would cut them down. If they irritate you, do it, you'll be so happy when you no longer have to look at the mess.
    Sure it's not the best time but most plants are pretty resilient. Cut them back to about 6 inches and they probably won't force growth up from the roots, they might put out a couple weak leaves from this year's stems.

If they die they die, it sounds like you'll have a couple seedlings to put in there if they do...

• gazania_gw
    10 years ago

After several years of having the flowers on all 3 of my hibiscus destroyed by JB's, I shovel pruned them. Much as I loved Hibiscus since childhood when my next door grew many varities of them as a fence row, it just wasn't worth the aggrivation.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

I wouldn't cut back now - the plants needs the leaves to photosynthesize, to store energy. Plus, you will probably stimulate new growth, and it's getting late in the season for that - you want the plant to start to slow down after blooming, to store energy to make it through winter, and if they're busy putting out new growth they're not busy storing. I know it's not easy to wait, to have to look at a ratty plant, but I recommend waiting until they die back in the fall.

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know the Latin name but these are red, white and pink Disco Belles -- they are not Rose of Sharon which is also being eaten but it isn't as noticeable with the smaller flowers. When 8" flowers are shredded, it shows!

It seems to me that pruning couldn't hurt since I am just eliminating the strength put into those huge seed pods. I am in the cold part of Z5 (NW IL) and they re-seed everywhere. I don't think they sucker though. I'll let you know in the spring if any of them died.

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

and sure...you posted your question on the perennials forum, and the difference between the plants is about 5 feet! Sorry for the distracting question. I used to be so happy to just have my hibiscus return in June that I couldn't believe they have babies in zone 5.Then it didn't return one year and there were no seedlings, so that was the end of it.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Can't say it's a sure thing but as far as I know the botanical name for hardy hibiscus is Hibiscus moscheutos. I grew them from seed via winter sowing and am just now seeing them bloom spectacularly after 3 years of waiting and not really expecting them to perform. They're covered with buds and I have hopes they put on quite a show.

RyseRyse_2004 - I'm terribly sad & sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time with the JBs. Sadly, I'm guessing this might be the only year I can enjoy my own blooms before the JBs infest & destroy my own plants.

• grandmachris
    10 years ago

My hibiscus is amazing right now. A very strong minded and somewhat bossy older friend of mine called me one Saturday morning years ago and said "Chris, come over right away! and
    drive your station wagon! When I got there she had about half of a huge clump of flowers, right side of clump dusty rose,left side pale pink dug out of the ground. I thought it was a bush. We wrestled it into the back end of my wagon and I had to drive home with the hatchback up. I had no idea where I would plant it

It took me years to realize it hadn't died over the winter when it waited until Memorial Day to show itself! After several years I realized it wasn't a shrub but individual plants growing together.

For several years I rose at dawn with my Dawn dishwash filled quart yogurt container to plunk the JBs in plop plop.
    Now climate change or something means we have lots fewer of them to deal with. I've had a dozen or so seedlings over time. They get toddled over to the May garden club sale or saved for the fall sale. This year so far there have only been pale pink flowers. They're located in the corner of a fairly narrow L shaped sunny bed which surrounds our parking spaces.

My friend is no longer with us in body but every mid-summer I share a bit of her generous, managerial spirit and I can almost hear her say, "I know this plant is what your garden needs."