Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earlybird Cardinal Daylily?

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 16:10

The description of this daylily is glowing. Does it live up to its press clippings in a real garden ie early blooming and multiple reblooming?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earlybird Cardinal Daylily?

Did you also post on the daylily forum? Someone there should be familiar with it.

o

For sure a good suggestion molie. Off I go.

o

I have it in a pot at the nursery, and it has bloomed and re-bloomed all summer. Nice colour.

o

Mine is blooming in its first year. So far I'm not overly impressed, but then I shouldn't be criticizing it this soon. Next year will be the test.

o

Earlybird Cardinal is ok. I wouldn't go all out and claim 'glowing'.

I think the best selling points on the daylily is it's from Mr. Apps (I'm never disappointed in performance of his releases after a couple of years of settling in) and it's color blooming at an initial time when most early early are yellow shades.

Earlybird went off this year right about when Happy Returns did in my Central Illinois zone 5 garden. Happy Returns is just now starting it's second bloom this season as is Earlybird Cardinal. Another of Apps very early is Apricot Sparkles. Apps' Rosy Returns in my opinion does not rebloom as much as the others I've mentioned, but it does rebloom.

If you're looking for a dropdead, knock your socks off daylily, well this one isn't going do it for you. But if it's variety of early color , a good first performance along with a decent second bloom later in the season, Earlybird Cardinal will do the job. In my garden though I have noticed that the second bloom scapes do not rise as tall as the initial bloom.

I think for you it going to depend on what you're expecting out of it, your placement of it and what else is going on in that section of your garden at the times it does bloom and rests before rebloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here