Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achang89

Help ID Two Plants

achang89
9 years ago

I just dug those wild flowers from my yard. Do not know what they are, annuals or perennials. I like the flowers.

Plant 1:
{{gwi:263800}}
{{gwi:263801}}

Plant 2:
{{gwi:263802}}
{{gwi:263803}}
{{gwi:263804}}

Comments (9)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

First picture is black-eyed susan (Rudbeckia). Generally it's a self-seeding annual altho' there may be a few perennial cultivars. Don't know the name of #'s2.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

2nd one looks like Impatiens capensis. You might want to read up about that one. I think it may be a rampant self sower.

Kevin

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    9 years ago

I agree, Kevin, that the second is Spotted Jewelweed/Orange Touch-Me-Not (to give some of its common names....). It is an annual that prefers damp places and self-seeds vigorously via exploding seed pods - hence the touch-me-not name...

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Yeah, I capensis is what the shape looks like..the color is more like a brightly colored I pallida though.
    I wonder if it could be some kind of hybrid ? I've never seen capensis that isn't orange..at least dull orange.

• achang89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great. I thought Black-eyed Susan is a more robust plant.

I found the capensis in the wild. Since it is an annual, I'll need to figure how to save the seeds. The plant is very tender.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

I've seen the impatiens growing in the wild in boggy areas. All the plants were very large - 3 feet or over and looked beautiful in that setting. I have a feeling they are not going to look as good in a regular garden. Some plants just need to stay where they originated.

Kevin

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I grew multiple black-eyed susan cultivars from seed via winter sowing back in 2010 thinking they were perennials. I've since learned they aren't. Since they continue to self-seed and bloom each season in my garden beds, they behave like perennials. That says "robust" to me.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

If that is indeed jewelweed, and it looks like to me, just a warning that in nature it can often be found near poison ivy - and is supposedly a treatment for it as well. So if you are planning on digging more out, just be careful where you stick your hands. :)

A friend of mine has big swaths of this growing along a streambank in the back yard. I have to agree with Kevin on this one - it looks actually rather nice in its spot, even though most consider it a weed, but I don't think I personally would move it to a garden. Besides, it seeds rather prolifically and would probably take over any bed its in.

Dee

• achang89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe the 2nd one is jewelweed. I found some of them in our wild area with swamp rose, milkweed and many other plants. This is close to drainage stream.

I just found the flowers appealing. I'll keep them in my flower bed for a year to see how they look.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions