Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which Helianthus?

Posted by linaria 7 Switzerland (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 16:19

Hi there,
I hope it is fairly common, so it should be ok here (instead at name that plant)
I got a division of this perennial sunflower, at least that is my diagnose, growing in northern Germany in a cut flower garden on sandy soil. It does have rhizomes (discovered after digging a part up), but seems to be well behaved. It was standing upright and had healthy foliage, about 4 feet plus of height.

So, do any of you know the species and whether it does spread on heavy soil? Or any comments on this plant? I cut off all the stems and wrapped it well. Thus it survived a week of travelling back home and had nice white rhizomes when I replanted two days ago.

Thanks for your help, bye, Lin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which Helianthus?

Looks like my ’lemon queen' helianthus, Altho mine is not yet blooming, so working from memory. Lemon queen is very vigorous in my sandy soil...it is a clumper, but bulks up very, very quickly.
For me, grows 5-6 ft tall...
Beth zone 5 northern michigan

o

Hi northerngirl- Beth
I have LQ myself, and it flowers much paler and just starts flowering now.

Sorry, the pic is not the best. I am quite sure, that those flowers are bigger than the LQ or Heliopsis-flowers.

Here is another pic of a stem and a flower from the side, perhaps that helps. The plant stood about 4 feet high, on sandy soil but with plenty manure (horse or cow), as I was informed.

Or is it indeed Heliopsis? Is there a way to tell them apart?
Thanks, bye, Lin

o

and I found another pic. The flowers seem to be facing to the side, not upwards, and somehow it does not look like a Heliopsis.

Thanks for comments, bye, Lin

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 7:56

Do you remember if the leaves are rough or smooth ?

o

good question,

I think not smooth as Phlox, rather stiff leaves and slightly rough surface, not prickly

and a last pic of the rhizomes, ring a bell?

thanks, Lin

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 17:24

Most helianthus are rough as sandpaper...but I won't say all are.

o

Is it maybe Jerusalem Artichoke (Helanthus tuberosum)? If it is, it's a serious spreader!

o

• Posted by babera 5a (Montana) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 18:34

I have Heliopsis *summer Sun* the leaves look similar too the ones in your photo, but mine are closer together and the flower head isn't that far above the foliage. The flower on mine is double pedal, 3-4 times more pedals than the one you showed.

Mine also gets 4-5 ft tall but has been blooming for over a month and will continue to do so until I cut it down in the fall. . . I hope yours gets id, Id love to know what it is and if I can grow it, I like the flower. Good luck.

o

could it be helianthus microcephalus? I've grown this and it does get tall - about 5 feet. The centers on yours look more yellow, but thougt I'd offer this suggestion anyway, just in case....

Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: microcephalus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here