Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Really lovin' my 'Little Joe'

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 16:30

But he ain't so little any more.

The first 3 years I had this plant, it stayed at around 2 1/2 feet tall. This year, it shot up to around 4 1/2 feet tall so I assume it is now established. Anyway, love the flower color, love the foliage, love the fact it requires NO staking for such a tall plant and the bees are simply all over it all the time.

Still wish I could find a Eupatorium that stayed under 3 feet.

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Really lovin' my 'Little Joe'

Of course your LJ looks wonderful planted next to your water feature. I take it you like the pond Kevin?

o

I go back and forth about the pond. Let's just say the novelty has worn off. I'm not sure it will be there a few years from now.

Kevin

o

Does LJ benefit from that water at all? (As I recall doesn't Eupatorium do best with more than average water?)

o

Nope. The pond doesn't contribute any moisture to the surrounding soil, but since it's close to the pond and close to the front of my garden it probably gets more waterings from me.

Yes, LJ does like regular moisture. When I had it planted in a drier area of the garden it didn't do well.

Kevin

o

Beautiful, Kevin - TFS. I don't grow LJ or the species due to their height; doesn't work with my landscape or garden design. Tallest thing I grow is butterfly bush, and I only grow that for the obvious reasons.

Still wish I could find a Eupatorium that stayed under 3 feet.

Yep, me too, as well as one that didn't seed itself around at will. From what I've observed over the years, they seem to have quite a bit of will.

o

Beautiful pics, Kevin! I have some Joe Pye Weed seeds that I will wintersown this winter. I hope mine ends up as pretty as yours did!

o

You know, I've never found a seedling from this plant. Maybe I'm too aggressive with the hoe in spring or maybe I cut everything back too early in the fall once we have a freeze.

Kevin

This post was edited by aachenelf on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 21:54

o

I'm also a huge fan of LJ! I've had mine for seven years or so and it has always stayed around 3.5 feet for me. My soil tends to be on the lean side by nature, so perhaps a contributing factor for its continued short-ness?

E. 'Baby Joe' is reputed to be even smaller than LJ...haven't tried it myself to confirm this tho!
CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: E. 'Baby Joe'

o

I like my little joe too, planted just last fall. I think I enjoyed it most in late spring. The growing foliage with dark stems was quite striking, IMO. Mine will probably get moved this fall as I rework several areas if the garden.

o

I only have the large Joe Pye, but control it by clipping it in half each year. Perhaps some trimming would help control the height in Little Joe also?

o

This is my third year with 'Baby Joe' and it has never failed to impress. The young new growth has such nice color and texture that everyone remarks of its beauty and the plant just continues on looking great all season. Oh, and yes, its height is about 3 ft in my deeply dug and amended garden soil. Next spring, 'Baby Joe' will be divided and spread around to numerous locations throughout my yard, did I mention that I LOVE this plant! Seeing aachenelf's beautiful photo of 'Little Joe' makes me realize I must also get this one!

'Baby Joe' autumn foliage shot

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here