Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
compare and contrast "Dimity" and Darjeeling Red"

Posted by rouge21 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 16:36

Today I saw at the nursery Persicaria "Darjeeling Red". In its small container and small size it looks identical to Persicaria "Dimity". As far as I can tell these are two distinct varieties of Persicaria. By chance do any GW members know their differences at full size?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: compare and contrast "Dimity" and Darjeeling Red"

can i knock this one down

after 12 days..

w/o guilt???

ken

o

Sorry rouge, I don't grow either of these!

:)
Dee

o

Not helpful since it is neither of the two cultivars you inquire about but....I grow 'Himalayan Border Jewel', which is pretty similar looking to both ((from what I can tell with the online pics of the others)). Its a very nice plant. Took absolutely forever for it to bloom though.

Honestly, you would have to probably see them all growing in the same garden to tell a difference. If there is the slightest difference in color, size, or form a breeder is sure to slap a new name on it and introduce it to the market, lol.
CMK

o

Hey Doug- I stumbled across this blog article that compares those two Persicarias...thought you might be interested.
CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: Link here

o

christinmk, that site sure has a wealth of information! All in one place and so easy to find what you are looking for. That 'Randy' sure put a lot of work into it, thanks for sharing.

o

-gazania, you're welcome. I know, I had to put that site on my favorites to look it over at leisure this fall/winter! Looks like it will be a wealth of info...
CMK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here