Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Kirengeshoma palmata ("Yellow Wax Bells ")

This looks like an interesting late season shade plant. Looking on-line there seems to be some conflicting reports re its final size.

Can you tell me about your "Yellow Wax Bells"?

Comments (8)

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

yes, enormous. Mine is a few years old but makes a large 4ft wide clump (and would get bigger if it wasn't for the restraining walls). I love this plant though - its widely palmate leaves arrive fairly early, making a statuesque clump with the late hellebore foliage. There are 2 types, I believe - one with nodding bells which branch a little (k.palmata) and the other is a more upright plant with the flowers orientated more outwardly on the stems(k.palmata var.koreana). Both are reliable and unusual, to find that soft buttery yellow at this time of year.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

It does not like lime. Quite possibly it has the award of 'plant that disappeared the fastest from my garden'. I don't think it even lasted a summer.

So if you live in a place where most people consider azaleas an overplanted weed, go for it. Otherwise, if you like to play with sulfur, go for it. If neither of those are true, pass.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Hmmmmm, it definitely tolerates a PH which is possibly just tipping into the alkali side (around 7.3) such as mine - although its leaves can look bizarrely pale without the chlorotic yellow tints. I would definitely agree that it likes a deep moist soil though.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    10 years ago

My soil is neutral to mildly alkaline I think (based on what grows well here....) What Kirengeshoma really seems to meed is damp conditions. Mine grow in 'the wet corner' - which is very wet in spring but dries out in summer. But, since it is the lowest spots where four properties drain to, run-off from summer rains keep it from getting too dry in summer - except this month this year(!) The Kirengesoma is looking pathetic this year - only a few flower stalks. Going back through earlier pictures, these from early August 2010 are the best.

The 'wet corner' patch - notice that they spread to form a large patch when they're happy!
    {{gwi:174644}}

A closer view of the flowers - which are held fairly high above the foliage:
    {{gwi:174646}}

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all of you for your input. I have learned much.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

Mine is planted in part shade near a large shrub. I've had it for years (six or more) and the thing has never gotten bigger. I'm assuming it is because of the root competition from the shrub and dry conditions it creates. I've been tempted to move it, but always end up planting something else in useable shade space instead ;O)
    CMK

• timbu
    10 years ago

Woody - glad to see you around, and thanks for helping me with planting decisions! Seems I'm not gonna plant Krengeshoma after all, my growing conditions appear to be almost identical to yours... I do have a "plant suggestions" kind of post coming up soon...

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

I just planted a small one this spring in slightly alkaline sandy loam. It has not grown much yet; it was and still is a sparse two stem wonder about 15 inches tall. It is currently forming nice fat flower buds. I suspect this is a "sleep, creep, leap" perennial and I have high hopes for it in future gardening seasons.