Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A plant blooming now that looks and smells like a lilac.

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 16:41

Out walking this morning I passed a plant blooming now - [Like now, August, in Nevada.] - with flowers that look and smell like a lilac. Leaves and stems were light grey-blue-green and glaucous. Flowers were smaller than the familiar lilac but otherwise similar. Care to conjecture as to What I saw.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A plant blooming now that looks and smells like a lilac.

jasmine???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Buddleia?

Kevin

o

Vitex?

o

Do I hear the ident of 'Bloomerang' Lilac?

o

Didn't know there was such an animal, but Mr. Google says there is. Zones 3 - 7, but cooler is better. What zone is the plant in question growing in? And what's the prize for the right answer?

Kevin

o

Butterfly bush (buddleia)?

o

Leptodermis Oblonga? I tried to find one of these locally but have not had success. I may have to mail order one of these.

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/LEOB.html

Linda

o

Clethra

o

Did a Google image search and it looks most like aachenelf's
Buddleia suggestion.

I just noticed someone else made the same suggestion.

Thanks.

o

Some Butterfly Bushes smell and waft better than others. I would never buy one without sniffing it first.
I have at least half a dozen different varieties and there doesn't seem to be a constant.

On the other hand, these are the easiest plants in the world to root so anyone can have as many as they want.

I LOVE my pink Clethra!

o

There are so called reblooming Lilacs. Daughter has one that had a few blooms on it last week. She says that after a normal flush of bloom, it will sporadically put out a few here and there over the rest of the growing season.

Linlily, that Leptodermis Oblonga may not live up to Bluestone's hype. I have two of them. It is an ok shrub, probably would make a decent shrub for hedge even, but A blooming machine they are not. Late to break dormancy, they aren't fully leafed out till late May. Moderate bloom follows mid June. The rest of the growing season there are very sparse showings of tiny clusters of the lavender flowers here and there. At present each shrub, clipped in April to try to maintain a 3' x 3' bush, has maybe a 1/2 dozen of these clusters of 3 or 4 small (individual 'lilac' sized) flowers. You have to really hunt to find them.

This post was edited by gazania on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 10:11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here