Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boday_gw

Could anyone identify this plant

boday
10 years ago

This plant comes back every year from reseed. It is up to eight feet tall, with stalks similar to bamboo. There are four colors - as shown plus orange and white. Blooms for a very long time. Seeds were given to me by an older lady, who didn't know the name. I've never seen anything like this. For all I know it might have been common at one time.

Comments (12)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    10 years ago

Maybe touch-me-nots (Balsalm inpatiens)? Some of them can be very tall.

• boday
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the stand. It's in partial shade, about five hours or less of sunlight. The intriguing thing is that it comes back from seed in this zone 3/4 climate. I didn't like it much but it's growing on me. Makes a hell of a backdrop for tall plants if there's room.

This post was edited by boday on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 17:17

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

I don't know what it is, but I like it! :0)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

try the NAME THAT PLANT FORUM.. if we fail here..

ken

• boday
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ken.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

Woody is right- it is Impatiens balfourii. The seeds are winter hardy...
    CMK

• boday
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When you're right, you're right. Some variety of Impatience.
    Balfourii is shorter.

Thank you very much.

I could see where it would be invasive in milder climates.

• oliveoyl3
    10 years ago

Received it at a spring plant swap labeled as 'Touch Me Not'.

Prolifically seeds about & germinates at low temps. Seedlings appear 10' away or more from the original transplant location.

I snipped blooms & carefully disposed to reduce seed dispersal. Still pulling seedlings. Pulled one from the chicken coop roof yesterday. Vigorous plants live if I pull them & toss in the driveway.

Crowds out everything else & kind of an ugly stalk though blooms are pretty. Listed as a noxious weed in my county. Also called Policeman's Helmet.

If it's not been a problem for your gardens by all means keep it, but be careful if you share the plant with others.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

Sorry, I meant to write I. glandulifera. I'm always getting those mixed up ;O).

The glandulifera gets up to six feet tall btw...
    CMK

• boday
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When you're right, you're right. Some variety of Impatience.
    Balfourii is shorter.

Thank you very much.

I could see where it would be invasive in milder climates.

I have no idea how i wound up with a double post. Tech challenged.

This post was edited by boday on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 16:08

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

I grow impatiens balsamica every year. It doesn't look exactly like this one, but it is also called "Touch Me Not", because when the seed pods are ripe, they pop open at the slightest touch. I just let them reseed and thin them as they begin to come up. Right now, they are a mass of color around our catchment pond, in full sun, and absolutely gorgeous. I can't grow the shade-loving impatiens because we have no shade, so I was happy to get these seeds several years ago. We have them in white, pink, purple, coral, magenta and purple.

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

I know it as Himalayan Balsam (Impatiens glandulifera)...my former neighbour grew it...supposed to be invasive but the new neighbours are clueless enough to have killed it off (and every other nice plant in their yard, leaving only weeds to flourish).