Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vic2978

pow wow wildberry echinacea from Seed in Chicago

vic2978
10 years ago

All:

How's it going?

I got PowWow Wildberry Echinacea seeds. I am in Chicago.

When should I plant them for next year bloom? Can I plant those seeds in August month for next year bloom?

Considering Chicago winter, I am confused as I am not sure about the time Echinacea usually need to develop roots for next year blooming.

Should I plant them in tray or straight into outdoor?

Please advice.

Comments (10)

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

I purchased seeds from a reliable online seed source but wasn't impressed with the plants' overall performance. I grew the seeds via the winter sowing method which should have provided blooms the second year after planting. Most perennials grown from seed via the winter sowing method are extremely strong/robust but the PWWB plants were puny.

Generally speaking, Echinacea/coneflower grown via the winter sowing method results in blooms the second year. I have multiple clumps of winter sown species E. purpurea that are quite robust in this their 3rd season.

You could fall sow the seeds directly in the ground but chances are you'd be disappointed with the results. Just to clarify, FYI, according to my notes, Echinacea purpurea does need a cold period (i.e., cold stratification) in order for the seeds to germinate.

• tepelus
    10 years ago

I would winter sow them, and when you do don't cover the seeds, press them into the medium so they have good contact. I had better germination that way when I sowed my echinacea seeds a few years ago.

Karen

• echinaceamaniac
    10 years ago

This is one of the best seed varieties of Echinacea ever. Their performance has been proven by many growers. If you sow them in January indoors, they will bloom the first year. Someone on here earlier was complaining about them being short; however, they are SUPPOSED to be compact. That is one of the things that makes this variety special, along with the intense color of the flowers! I run a website exclusively about Echinaceas, and this is among the best of the bunch. We have people from all over this country who report nothing but positive things about these plants, including the white variety.

This post was edited by echinaceamaniac on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 13:34

• terrene
    10 years ago

My PWWB from seed is compact and floriferous, but I can't say that I've been impressed with the plants this year. However, it's not growing in enough sun (not much choice about that). Also most of the Echinacea flowers look like crap this year, between the beetles, earwigs, mites, and sunflower moth.

I sowed 5 different varieties of Echinacea purpurea seed from Swallowtail on May 15th and 16th (just checked records). These seeds did not need cold stratification to sprout, although it might enhance germination.

Here's a pic of my seedlings on the deck that I took this morning - these Echinacea seedlings are about 2 months old. They only get 2-3 hours of sun a day in this spot, and would probably grow faster in more sun, but they've grown pretty well and are ready to transplant to the gardens. Gotta plant out the dayliles too!
    {{gwi:264191}}

This post was edited by terrene on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 13:41

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

I would definately start them now, you'll get good growth now and then come springtime they will have the established root systems needed to really explode into growth and flower. I usually start them in a flat of soil or in pots in a spot that doesn't get more than a couple hours of sun. You can move them to a sunnier spot later. The biggest problems will be drying out and bugs such as slugs. A cover of either light cloth or plastic will help keep in the moisture, just be careful of the plastic getting too hot in the sun. Don't over it all the way of your not sure.
    Transplant them into the ground as soon as they're a decent size, a good mulch after the first freeze will protect them from frost heaving up out of the ground over winter.... Dry leaves, evergreen branches....
    I just got an email from one of the seed catalogs reminding people what a good time summer is to start perennials.... Here's the quote, it's copied right out of the link I attached.
    "Many people donâÂÂt realize how much floral beauty can be had for just a few dollars. Growing perennials and biennials from seed a year in advance in early summer is inexpensive, remarkably easy and incredibly rewarding. ThereâÂÂs no need to fuss with grow lights and timers, repotting or hardening off. Simply sow the seeds into moist growing mix and set the flats or pots outdoors in a sunny protected area. Or easier yet, simply sow the seeds directly into a little nursery bed right in the garden. Water and weed them as needed over the summer. By fall, the seedlings will be large enough to either stay in a nursery bed until spring, or be transplanted directly into their ultimate home"

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer seed starting

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

I am one of the ones who has found Pow Wow Wild Berry to be a weak and stingy grower. All of the plants I grew from seed ended up looking like pale, spindly caricatures of the gorgeous photos some GW members have posted of this strain. But many plants do refuse to grow in one garden but then thrive in many others. Sigh. Seed grown 'Rubinstern' and 'Magnus Superior' are growing well for me though.

I find echinacea to germinate readily without cold treatment. Germination rates would probably be better with wintersowing, but enough seeds to make the project worthwhile would likely germinate even if sowed now.

• echinaceamaniac
    10 years ago

They need full sun and they grow as well as any other Echinacea. They don't just give out those awards these have won for nothing.

• terrene
    10 years ago

I would love to see how PWWB would grow in more sun, but unfortunately I have to grow a lot of perennials in part sun that no doubt would prefer more sun (such as daylilies, sunflowers, etc.). My options are to remove more trees (after thousands of $ of tree work already) or move to a sunnier lot - both of which I'm considering!

• echinaceamaniac
    10 years ago

LOL. I'm wanting more shade. I have Heuchera addiction.

• vic2978
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, if I sow them in August in Chicago, would it have enough time to develop roots for next season?

Official First day of fall is September 22nd.

How many days does it need after germination to develop roots for next year bloom?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?