Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

for yellow(or gold) lovers....

It was a nice day for an outing so we went to the Laking garden at RBG (Royal Botanical Gardens). Yellow/gold was the color of the day! I'm sure Eric's wudbeckia is in this picture somewhere....
{{gwi:264321}}

Comments (8)

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

Ah, that's lovely Woody! Those golds and bronze tones are so perfectly apposite with the autumnal sunlight.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the deep golds of late summer.. are a harbinger of fall ... next.. the purples and reds of mums ... and asters ....

ken

ps: an harbinger doesnt sound right.. lol ... maybe for you guys up there.. EH harbinger ... lol ...

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Such a lovely photo! I find myself wanting to wander into it to see specific plants, what the edging is, what's in the lattice enclosure, and what's just outside the frame; wish I were close enough to visit. If you have others, feel free to share.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

Beautiful. My garden will never look that tidy. :-)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nhbabs - a few more pictures for you.... This garden is partway down into a valley and is reached first by going down a long switchback ramp and then by either going down a staircase or by following a sloping path. The 'yellow' garden spreads on either side of the staircase:
    {{gwi:264322}}

Standing a bit to the left of the top of the stairs and looking to the right, this is what you see:
    {{gwi:264324}}
    If you look on the right side of the picture, you can see the lattice wall that is in the first picture at the top of the thread, so now you know what's on the other side of that... :-)

I didn't take a lot of close-up pictures - in large part because money is always tight at RBG and maintenance suffers badly! It is often best to look at things from a distance.... :-) Here is one picture with a closer view of some of the plants:
    {{gwi:264326}}

The RBG property is huge - 2300 acres. The garden areas are widely scattered on the property and you need to drive considerable distances between them - it's not very possible to visit all the main areas in any one visit! There is a huge wetland area and restoring it (getting rid of carp is a big issue) is a large on-going project that has taken decades and still isn't finished. This garden is above the wetland area. You can catch a glimpse of part of the wetland in this picture taken very far to the right of the 'yellow garden' area:
    {{gwi:264327}}

See the link below to a thread in the Clematis Forum where I posted some pictures of the interesting things they've done to display their clematis collection which is also in this area.

Here is a link that might be useful: clematis 'forest'

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, Woodyoak. Wonderful mini-tour.

I'm a bit baffled by the lattice fences along the path - perhaps it's to get visitors into the gardens themselves, or a sort of garden rooms effect, but in the photos it looks confining along the path.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not along the path but parallel to it but 4-6' into the bed.. If I remember right, clematises grew on it but now they've moved them to the 'trees' you can see in the pictures I posted in the Clematis Forum. I wonder if maybe they're going to remove the lattice eventually - unless there are still clematises on it (I didn't look vary closely at it....)

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

i wish i could see your pictures. nothing is coming up. can you repost?

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm