Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

How bad is verbena bonariensis?

I saw several of these annuals together in a public garden. It was quite unique, very pretty and it was equally attractive to pollinators. I didn't know what it was as it definitely isn't common around here as a spring bought annual. I don't ever recall seeing it at any nursery.

Once I figured out what it was I see from my "reading" that it is a rampant self-seeder and can be quite invasive in warmer climes.

What has your experience been with it?

Comments (19)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Well, as I posted yesterday...in my zone, it made a place for itself in a prairie meadow occupied with grasses and forbs, and burned on an annual basis. It was spreading when I sold the property (in the meadow).

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dbarron, I do apologize as I had not seen your post re this plant. If I could delete this thread I would.
    What a coincidence.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 17:54

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Oh no problem, just found it odd that I had a reason to repeat myself, so soon.
    My original plant... also spread into a quite large area...including the gravel in the driveway....and cracks between rocks.

It wasn't unattractive, and easy enough to pull, but interesting in how well it spread....from reading someone else's post, I gather finches may be responsible (eating the seed/spreading it).

Definitely a plant you only need to buy once...lol

This post was edited by dbarron on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 18:03

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

For looks, it is kinda weedy (big stalks, small flowers) although pretty enough in bloom and in my area somewhat rampant, but so is every other weed and easy enough to control.
    Not the invasive quality like most weeds.
    I have only had it go to seed in small areas surrounding where it was planted.
    It can get powdery mildew. I'm indifferent to it...there are better plants to fill the same space.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

I wish it would reseed, it keeps dying out on me :(.

Annette

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I wonder if you're in a wetter climate AM? I could see that it tolerates wet, but doesn't care for it much.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I am a reasonably informed gardener and I have no recollection of seeing it for sale as a small annual in the spring. It is definitely not common in my neck of the woods.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I just looked it up...it's considered an invasive in Washington state, and Hawaii, and had it's Perennial of the Year status revoked after people found how invasive it was.

That may be why it's became more of a pass-along plant. (lol..I almost hate to say this) Responsible propagators might refuse to offer it.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Yep, we can have some really wet winters here, One winter I lost most of my michaelmas daisy border to too wet a winter. We can get torrential rain some januarys.
    I've never seen VB plants for sale, when I've had it I've always grown it from seed.

Annette

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

I don't think I will ever be without VB because it is so pretty this time of year and insects of all sorts just love it. Plus as everyone has said it is an incredible self-sower and that is probably an understatement to put it mildly. Just remember to start hoeing out the seedlings early in the spring and it shouldn't be a problem. They can grow thick as grass.

Also remember - if you decide to grow it - you really don't need many plants for a good display. Those little seedlings are very deceptive as they grow throughout the summer. By August, they really branch out to cover a good amount of territory. I would space them at least a good 2 feet apart if not more.

Kevin

• kris_zone6
    9 years ago

I planted one plant four years ago and I am still getting seedlings. Never again will I plant it.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Almost 15 years since I had a few plants and I still get seedlings.

• cecily
    9 years ago

The original plants overwinter here plus a thick carpet of seedlings appears. Goldfinches especially enjoy the seeds and help spread them so I find seedlings in odd places. Its shallow rooted and easy to pull but dang, there are a lot of seedlings.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

I have it in a gravel bed and have grown it with little hassle for at least a decade. Yep, it seeds about (a bit) but never offensively so, butterflies are crazy for it and it always looks lovely with gaura, pink and purple toadflax, thalictrums and incredibly tall and airy althea cannabina, taking over from the dieramas and umbels (I love these very tall and airy plants). It moves about a little but has never been an issue - unlike the annoying crimson pincushion (knautia macedonica). At this time of year, when a lot of stuff is looking a bit rank and overgrown (and attacked by sneaky and rapacious bindweed), the VB and its companions - supported by the extending orpines, alchemillas, cistus, perovskia and blue rue, the gravel garden is the late summer highlight of my allotment (I struggle maintaining moisture for the phlox , heleniums and asters et al at the other end of my plot).

In truth, I rarely pay much attention as it is an easy and reliable plant which never outgrows it's welcome. Horses for courses, for sure!.

Original Author
    9 years ago

(I love these very tall and airy plants)

My gardening friend calls them "see through" plants ;).

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

beautiful swallowtail, Daisy. There have been sightings of european swallowtails on the south and east coast which use fennel (amongst others) as a caterpillar food plant. The possibility of hybridising with our english ST's is exciting since our native swallowtails are in an evolutionary cul-de-sac, surviving entirely on a single localised food plant (milk parsley, peucedanum palustre) in one tiny section of Norfolk (where our woods are). A hybrid, capable of living on a more diverse diet is exceedingly thrilling to butterfly conservationists - I will be planting copious quantities of verbena and peucedanum (as well as Joe Pye Weed and asclepias)..

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Daisy- beautiful butterfly pictures!
    If I don't put down mulch I have a sea of verbena coming up, but most perennials will outcompete them so they're not a problem for me. They only seem to do well in disturbed soils (but we do have fairly cold winters here)
    I have them as fillers wherever there's still a bare spot.

• tracey_nj6
    9 years ago

Mine reseeded with a vengence this year. One bed is a complete mess with it, and powdery mildew, but the bees and butterflies love it. One year I had hardly a reseed and it was a major bummer, so I will NEVER complain about it's rampant reseeding again. It's easy enough to rip out any unwanteds anyway ;)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting