Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Last purchases of the season

Kind of weird that this last summer visit to a nursery resulted in the most plants I have purchased at once anytime this season.

SHADE:

- 2 Thalictrum "Evening Star" (I have one of these already and I had recently thought of a location for two more). (It was for this reason only that I had planned to go plant shopping today!)

- 1 Thalictrum "Kiusianum" (I have never seen this Thalictrum previously)

- 1 Leucosceptrum japonicum "Silver Angel"

- 2 Dicentra "Amore Rose"

- 1 Uvularia sessilifolia "Cobbleswood Gold"

- 1 Uvularia sessilifolia

SUN

- 2 Ranunculus acris 'Flore Pleno' ['Multiplex']

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 18:02

Comments (19)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

This morning I started a very late...fall bulb order...got up to $110 (easily)..and closed my browser and said 'No'. I'm still resisting...

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Nice list Rouge, I've grown "Kiusianum" before, a really pretty little Thalictrum. I have some Uvularia but not sure which one. The others cultivars on your list I'm not familiar with.
    I broke down a couple of weeks ago and ordered a Dichroa febrifuga to replace one that finally winter killed, this one I'll plant in a tub so I can move it into the greenhouse for the winter if the need arises. I also ordered a plant of Filipendula 'Elegans' never grown these before and a new to me, Thalictrum "Black Stockings". On wednesday, I don't know how it happened but Chelone obliqua and Phlomis tuberosa possibly "Bronze Flamingo" followed me home, do you ever have this happen to you :), never grown either of these before but looking forward to seeing there flowers.

Annette

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    9 years ago

Just brought home a 'Blue Bird' Clematis! Haven't had luck with them in the past, but this looks like an incredibly vigorous one...plus I have [what I hope is] an ideal location for him.

A local public garden will host their annual fall plant sale early Sep. I'm sure there will be at least a couple plants that come home with me from that (assuming I can get the day off!).
    CMK

• dogg1967
    9 years ago

Well, I swung by Home Depot and they had a variety of shabby looking perennials for just a dollar each. I could not resist and picked up 3 plants that looked like they just needed some love: a Ruby Sparkles Dianthus, a Butterfly Blue Scabiosa, and a Penstemon. Popped them in the garden today, so here's hoping they find it suitable to grow for me.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

I keep saying last plants I'm buying this year and then I go and buy another one. Yesterday I picked up a carefree beauty rose! They're just too pretty to pass up.

Glad to see I'm not alone in some late summer planting!

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thalictrum "Kiusainum" has been growing in my garden since 2009. That area under a locust tree by my front door now has miniature hosta, miniature arruncus, and miniature alchemilla as well. It is a slow grower but a favorite. Mine is about 3 inches high. Not a big spreader either.

Haven't bought any perennials this year but may start checking fall sales.
    Will keep dicentra "Amore Rose" in mind.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am glad to read the good reports re "Kiusianum". Thanks for the replies.

'barron', I beat you by a few days on my bulb order!

Annetter, I love my chelone "Hotlips"...a great later summer flower. Take a look at Chelone "Leniemienie". It is a much shorter chelone and for the past two seasons it has flowerd well in advance of my "Hotlips". I have 3 of these plants and all are in bloom right now (picture below taken this morning).

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 10:05

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i wouldn't bet a nickle on this being your last purchase ... as per the title.. lol .. i would lose that nickle ...

though i note you qualified the title in the first line... this being your last SUMMER purchase.. lol

ken

• ontnative
    9 years ago

I have tried to grow uvularia sessilifolia several times without success. However, i have no difficulty growing uvularia grandiflora, even in less than ideal conditions.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    9 years ago

It's definitely way too early to stop buying plants! :-) September is prime time.....

• greylady_gardener
    9 years ago

LOL!! not yet...still lots of time to keep an eye out for those clearance sales!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Haven't had luck with them in the past, but this looks like an incredibly vigorous one...plus I have [what I hope is] an ideal location for him.

CMK I bet this one will grow just fine. Once you have success with one the addiction will start!

Clematis can add so much to a garden,

Original Author
    9 years ago

'ontnative', I had meant to get U Grandiflora but I got sidetracked and forgot :(.

Original Author
    9 years ago

'ontnative', I had meant to get U Grandiflora but I got sidetracked and forgot :(.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

I bought very little this year but I have a feeling some significant purchases are still to come. I have spent the vast majority of my garden energy removing plants and am almost at the point to start adding them back in. I'm excited about that for all kinds of reasons!

I just finished clearing out a yucky overgrown spot, limbed up a serviceberry shrub, put down cardboard and mulch, and suddenly* have an especially beautiful little area on my hands. So I just ordered a Clematis viorna to climb up into the serviceberry. So that's a noteworthy new purchase.

Am also fixin' to buy 4-5 peonies this fall. And another weeping spruce. Beyond that, it will depend on how much more I rip out.

*"Suddenly," meaning after laboring for a few days in the hot sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis viorna

• User
    9 years ago

I guess you could call it the end of the season if, like me, you regard Autumn as the actual beginning of the gardener's year. Also the most expensive. Spring bulbs, bare root trees and shrubs and most of all, the first big tranche of seed sowing (I have a scarily long list). In previous years, this was a feverish time of scrutinising the rose nurseries and now I can indulge in those massive rambling giants such as Cedric Morris, Kiftsgate, Rambling Rector, soulieana, brunonii etc., I surely will (I have been assiduously filling my teapot all summer and have around $700 to spend).

Original Author
    9 years ago

campanula, in past years I have bought and planted well into November. But we no longer have any free space so any plants I purchase are as replacements.

(I made my bulb order last week).

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

Um.........is it November already? LOL! I'm still going strong with purchases for this gardening season. I have a VERY fat, healthy woodchuck devouring my garden, but he doesn't touch the daylilies. Found a guy right around the block from me who sells daylilies from fields behind his house for a great price. I moved some things around and added about 40 daylilies over the last couple of weekends. I know some folks think they get all yellow and nasty after flowering, but I don't find that to be the case in my garden. They stay green and fresh for a very long time. Plus at least I have blooms now since the woodchuck has eaten every other July/August flowering plant.

Went to a new (to me) nursery a couple weekends ago and picked up some nice shrubs. 2 new viburnums because I can never have enough of those, and a nice looking sedge and then also a really large variegated fiveleaf aralia, aka eleuthrococcus, aka acanthopanax. He had a bunch of other really nice shrubs and perennials, but I suppose I should pace myself and my checkbook!

Original Author
    9 years ago

I wouldn't bet a nickle on this being your last purchase

Wow, you have special powers Ken.

Today I bought these 2 huge Bobos (each container about 4 gallons) + a couple of days ago I unexpectedly came across the previously hard to source "Sunshine Daydream" Helianthus.

(With these 2 Bobos, I now have 8 in total on our property)

This post was edited by rouge21 on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 16:43