Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Kalimeris incisa, Blue Star

Donna
14 years ago

I just got this plant this year and love it. I have decided to use it prominently as an edger of one of my beds, but only have the one four inch pot I got in June. Am going to the big city next week....If you have this plant, how fast does it increase? I am wondering if it will endure some fairly drastic division this fall and come back strong next spring. Or, should I try to find a garden center there that has alot of it and buy the place out?

Comments (5)

• ontnative
    14 years ago

I would say that in my zone the clump grew at a medium speed, not quickly and not slowly. It may increase faster for you, since you're in a warmer zone. If you have a long flower bed to edge, I would get a few more plants.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    14 years ago

I was down too 2 plants last year when I decided I was crazy for not using this plant threw out the garden. These were 3 year old plants. Divided each into about 30 pieces. I swear if there is a root atached and you keep it watered it will grow. Yery easy to divide. You would probably get 4 plants from a one year plant. Blue Star likes moiture the first couple than does quite well thur dry spells. A two year old plant will want two grow much taller and will fall over when it rains. When mines about a foot tall, I cut back in half. Stems will be much stronger after that give short hair cut every 3 weeks or so and she blooms till frost here. I love this plant, no diease, bugs don't bother it and blooms from mid June til frost. I'm happy someone else like it also. An under used work horse. By the way you will find it blooms very will with only 4 hours of sun also. I now have sixty threw out the garden, it trun out beautiful. If they get to wide just pop it out and replant a small piece and give the rest to a friend. Best of luck to you and your garden. Pat

• Donna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to both of you. I will be "ripping it to bits" so to speak once the weather cools. Thanks for giving me courage!

I am planning to use it at the feet of roses and hydrangeas in my white garden. Its blue is so milky that you can barely notice it is blue in a mixed border, but it's gorgeous with the white flowers. I am glad to hear it does well in shade too. You're right, patty. It is not receiving nearly enough attention. It's one of the very very best new plants I have tried in years. In our climate, that's saying something.

• mahlonb
    13 years ago

Just curious how your Kalimeris is doing this year? I'm in Memphis, so not too far from you, and just discovered this plant as well for our hot, humid climate. I've only one at the moment (all the nursery had), but it's doing really well so far.

I was wondering about your dividing. Did it go well? Should I divide in fall or spring? How many divisions did you do?

Thanks,
    Mahlon

• Donna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love this plant! I divided it last fall into three pieces. One piece was really small and did not make it, but the other two are doing well. They started blooming in mid May and I expect them to bloom nonstop until frost. I looked for more plants this spring, but was told at every nursery that they couldn't get it this year. Hopefully, by fall, I can divide them again.

I tried sticking some cuttings a few weeks ago, but they all died. I would love to hear from anyone who has done this successfully.

I think you will love yours. It's definitely one of my very top of the list border edgers.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer