Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compare red reblooming daylilies

Posted by vivian_2010 IL 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 18:20

I post the same question also at the Daylily forum. Hope I can get more responses posting at both forums.

I am looking for a red (or close to red) daylily that can still do well in ~ 2 hr morning sun and 3-4 hr afternoon sun. There are 3 in my local nursery, Ruby Stella, Little Business ( a drawf version), and Pardon me. Like to have more prolific, longer blooming time and reliability (I know I am asking a lot). Anybody has any experience with them?
Thanks in advance for your help
Vivian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compare red reblooming daylilies

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 18:32

Sorry I don't have a suggestion but what I can say is to get a "sunfast" bloom. I had Pardon me and Lil Wine Cup and felt like the red looked dusty or bleached in the full sun.

I don't know if you have size requirements but Chicago Apache is supposed to be sunfast.

o

Of the five reds in my daylily collection, here's how I'd rate them:

#1. Hearts Afire (long bloom time)
#2. Sunset Fire (orange red, but intensely saturated color!)
#3. Chicago Apache
#4. Pardon Me (less red, more like burgundy)
#5. Charles Johnston (stunning, but a short bloom period)

There are any number of excellent on-line sources for hemerocallis, as
well as good regional nurseries, depending on your location.

o

My Chicago Apache has been a knockout red for the past 2 weeks & bloomed last year after being planted out in late March. Last year, we had a large cherry tree nearby casting shade on it, but we removed it this winter due to disease. Chicago Apache has a lot more sun now & still holds it's color! This time of year the sun hits it from about 10am-4pm though part of that time it's shaded a bit by Darlow's Enigma, a rambling rose.

o

'Pardon Me' is too susceptible to rust IMO. Has anyone tried Earlybird Cardinal ('Endless Heart') yet?

o

Ruby Stella is more of a burgundy (ruby) color than a true red. The flowers are fairly small. However, it does bloom for a long time, about late mid-season. I have two plants and like them. Red Hot Returns is another "redder" rebloomer. It blooms earlier than Ruby Stella.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here