Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Short toothed mountain mint

Posted by lily603 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 18:37

Just blooming now. August. And love. Don't know where I got it so looking at seeds. Can I sow now, would they survive winter or wait for spring. Any experience? Proper name pycnanthemum muticum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Short toothed mountain mint

If it is just blooming now, it will be a few weeks before seed fully develops. Depending where in zone 6 you are, it may be a native plant. It will spread both by reseeding itself (seeds may or may not need stratifying) and by rhizomes, so chances are, regardless of what you do, you should have more plants next year.

tj

o

'lily', any chance you could post some pictures of your MM?

(I just planted 3 of them this past week).

o

I never learned how to get pictures to this site...technoretard....sorry where did u get them that uv just planted them

o

I grew some from seed last winter. They came up easily but now that they're blooming I'm underwhelmed. They just don't look as showy as some others I saw for sale last year, the leaves don't seem as silver.
I can't say for sure what would work best for you, I had the seeds in paper towels in the fridge for a few weeks then planted them, you could just plant them as soon as the seed heads start to dry, or winter sow, or spring sow..... or just divide in spring, that's probably the easiest!
Here's mine. I don't have a bigger picture, this was more an attempt at a bug shot.

o

thanks to kato for the pics. yours is a different variety. I have P. muticum...flowers look almost like a dogwood bract. I agree the plant itself is not distinguished, but love the little flower. have so many empty spots that need filling I hope this will carve out a spot for itself. plus I've read its not the awful mint habit of taking over the world

o

I have P. muticum...I love the little flower. have so many empty spots that need filling I hope this will carve out a spot for itself.

That is the variety I planted recently. (I got them at a nearby small independent nursery). With not much space left I placed put them wherever hoping one or more of the 3 will catch on.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 12:20

o

I'll try and get a picture later this afternoon.

Yes, it does take over the world, or at least it tries.

o

As promised, Photograph of Pycnanthemum muticum

photo 2014-08-15174621_zps3bee084d.jpg

I pulled out about half of it last year. So about everything past the rudbeckia is new. A big positive to having all of it this year, is this is the first time in ages the rudbeckia has bloomed. Usually the deer get to it at some point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here