Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nevermore44

rheum palmatum

Nevermore44 - 6a
11 years ago

Does anyone grow this oranmental rhubarb out there? I am in zone 6... I started from seed this spring 12 plants. The took off quickly. I potted some up in larger gallon pots, some in the ground, and a few I passed on to other gardener friends that were in the gallon pots. They were putting up 6in leaves by the end, very healthy looking.

3 weeks back, one day the plants in the pots just started wilting. The soil was moist, but not soaking. I immediately moved them to shade since we were in the heat wave like many in the Midwest. They seemed a bit better for a day, but them again wilted and then died. The ones in the garden did the exact same in half day sun. The one a gave to one person did the same a week later.

Anyone else with experience with this type? I might try again next year earlier so the they are a bit bulkier by the time summer roles in.

Comments (5)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

If you were to do a search on this forum you would find that I asked a similar question last year regarding this plant...

My R. palmatum var. tanguticum was planted in the ground in spring of last year and by summer had yellowing foliage that would kill each leaf off one by one. I suspected that it was too dry where I first put it, so moved it (root ball and one whole yellowing leaf, lol) into a half-wine barrel planter behind my shed. It is shady there, and very cool. I put a heck of a lot of compost in the barrel too. The last lone leaf died soon after, so I wasn't all that sure it would come back this year. But it did!! I was so thrilled.

From what I have seen, this plant can be a bit fussy. The main issue is that it doesn't like the heat/a situation in the garden that isn't nice and moist. I noticed that some of the leaves are yellowing again now, though it is putting out new growth at the same time. I'm thinking that is partially the nature of rhubarb, to die back a little toward summer and then flush back out again. That is what my culinary one does when I don't cut it for use anyway, lol.
    CMK

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice plant. I guess it was our extreme heat the did the in. I kept then nice and watered the whole time. I might heave to try the or other varities next year. I love the giant leaves.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

Did all your plants die then? I collected a bit of seed from my plant (least I think it is true seed, not quite as firm as I expected...) and could spare a bit if you are interested. Shoot me an email if you are. ;-)
    CMK

• denninmi
    11 years ago

I have observed that this plant goes dormant very early, especially if stressed by drought or heat.

To the OP, are you sure your plants are dead, and not just dormant. If you haven't thrown the pots out yet, I would gently probe down in the soil and see if see live roots and any small dormant buds (which I seem to recall are sort of pink/purple in color and slightly pointed, similar to a peony dormant bud in appearance).

I think it's quite possible your "dead" plants are just dormant for the season.

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cmk... Thanks.. I will email you. I will try to grow again next year and keep more in the shade.. Maybe bring them in if we get another heat wave like this year. Hopefully if the plant can grow out a bit more without the stress... It could take it the following year.
    And about the dormancy... I had read about how they will loose leaves in the height of summer but then come back... So I did check the root stock and they all were mush.