Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicate_gw

Alternative to Bluestone Nursery

alicate
12 years ago

My order just came today and I am DISAPPOINTED. I expected 3 of every plant I ordered (like before) and only got 1 plant inside their new cocoa shell pot. The plants were dried out in this new packaging system and it took way more boxes to fit them in this new way. They may have saved their money on pots, but they lost it in shipping. Regardless, I am the one paying all of the extra cost for this and I am not happy with them. I specifically choose Bluestone all these years BECAUSE they were affordable. I will definitely not be ordering from them and will NOT tell my friends about them anymore.

Any alternative places I could order from? Thank you!

Comments (12)

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

Santa Rosa Gardens
    High Country Gardens

I got my order today and my plants were dried out too. They were planted in those coco pots in SAW DUST! That's right. The crap spilled out all in my floor. It didn't even stay in the pots. The plants were like small plugs stuck in the bigger pot, but they weren't allowed time to grow into the pot!

• mytime
    12 years ago

Mine should be here in a day or two. I'm guessing my order will look like all the others that have been posted about here. I'm terribly disappointed to find that I'm getting 1 plant, not 3. When they offered to replace in August or September, or wait until next year, I said August or next year, because the plant likely wouldn't survive being planted in September. Shipping August 29 might be following my directions to the letter, but certainly not to the spirit! I thought that with 3, I had a chance, but with only one? And one that's gone through trauma before planting? I may be accused by my DH of being the eternal optimist, but even I can't be optimistic in the face of these circumstances!

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

I won't be ordering from them anymore unless it's a Clematis. They seem to do well with that particular plant. It's the only plant I got out of 5 plants that is alive. The others fell out of the coco pot. I couldn't believe it when I opened the box. It's literally a plant plug plopped into dry sawdust. It was totally dry like they didn't even wet the sawdust! It's so bad that I laughed when I opened the box. I was angry, but the pitiful plants did look comical to me.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    12 years ago

Alicate: You live in Michigan - why are you mail-ordering plants? We have some *outstanding* nurseries in Michigan :0)

• austinnhanasmom
    12 years ago

I agree with echinaceamaniac....

Santa Rosa Gardens
    High Country Gardens

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Ditto echinaceamaniac & austinhanasmom re Santa Rosa Gardens. I ordered quite a few items from their end-of-season sale where most plants are priced at just $2.99. I got hellebore, dianthus, lamium + a few others. Didn't have any luck with the gaillardia/blanket flower and the replacement plant they (promptly) sent also didn't make it but they're sending another plant in Spring 2012 so I'm guessing it was the plant rather than the nursery. The others are healthy and growing nicely. They pack the plants SO carefully and there are no packing peanuts (and certainly no spilled soil) to deal with once you open the box.

The plants are small but healthy and for that price I don't expect a gallon-size pot or 4th-year perennial.

Haven't ordered from HCG as there are other reputable nurseries closer to New England but their feedback on a popular garden watchdog website is tops.

I do hope Bluestone Perennials finds the magic formula to keep their business going but at this point in time, they haven't, as is evident by the comments on this garden blog. They may stay in business with new & unsuspecting customers but once the word gets out about their shipping problems, I'm guessing they'll be falling off the edge of leading mail order nurseries, which is really sad. I sincerely hope they find the magic formula to stay in business but pricing plants out of the budgets of average Americans isn't going to keep them in the mainstream.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

You should direct your comments to Bluestone. They may well replace. Oopsies happen.

• alicate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I used Bluestone for many years because I plant in drifts and they were the ONLY one who sold their perennials in packs of 3. They HAD been shipped nicely before their new way of doing it now. I always looked forward to my huge order every spring. Not now!

Yes, I have some good nurseries in my town but Bluestone had been so economical that I couldn't resist. I'll resist now.

• goblugal
    12 years ago

Have never ordered from this company, but I know both of the owners VERY well. Chris used to be the director at Wayside Gardens (years ago, when it was still GOOD), and Mary family owns Walters Gardens, a well known Western Michigan perennial nursery. These guys are true plantsmen, and have some unique stuff....

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Garden Plants

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

I forget Great Garden Plants. I second that.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

I have been quite pleased with plants from Lazy S's Farm Nursery. Plants are quart sized and well rooted.

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

They are supposed to issue me a refund. I hope they fix the problems with shipping. They do have a nice selection and are nice people.