Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daysquid

Spring bulbs with hellebores?

daysquid
11 years ago

I have grape galaxy hellebores and wanted to mix in some spring bulbs. What would you suggest?

Comments (7)

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

Beautiful color. I would stay away from the larger flowering bulbs because of dealing with the the dying foliage afterward. I think any of the minor bulbs would work. Squill naturalizes, foliage all but disappears, and bright blue would really set off the helebores.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I agree that the smaller spring bulbs would be lovely, especially the really early ones so that you have some variety in the early spring garden. Snow drops, early species crocus, Iris reticulata are all early and come in colors that would compliment the hellebores.

• User
    11 years ago

also, winter aconites, anemone blanda and nemorosa, and hepaticas...and snowdrops are a classic pairing, especially if the old hellebore foliage has been removed early.

• daysquid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm a new to gardening and I don't understand this.."I would stay away from the larger flowering bulbs because of dealing with the the dying foliage afterward. I think any of the minor bulbs would work." I don't know the difference between larger bulb and minor -- and what about dying foliage? Please explain. Thanks!

• User
    11 years ago

usually, the old leaves on hellebores are looking a bit sad by the end of winter (and they often get a nasty fungal leaf blotch too) so it is traditional to cut back the foliage, leaving just the bare stems of the flowers. This shows off the flowers to the best advantage and fresh new leaves will emerge after the flowers have started to go over. You can, of course, still leave the old foliage in place but, as mentioned, small bulbs (as well as the nodding heads of the hellebore blooms) will be obscured by what will have become quite enormous and leathery old leaves throughout the previous summer and autumn.
    Major and minor bulbs- not altogether sure but would suggest major bulbs tend to be large narcissi, tulips, hyacinths while minor bulbs simply mean smaller squills, chionodoxas, ipheons, crocus and so on.

• daysquid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

campanula - thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate it. I read somewhere that it's nice to have some foliage of other plants around when the hellebores are blooming (and all their foliage is removed). Any thoughts on this?

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. You certainly would want to cut the old hellebore leaves off as they are quite ugly come spring and to showcase the flowers. I recommended the minor or smaller bulbs because of having to deal with the old foliage of daddodils which seem to stay on forever and a day. Hellabore flowers remain beautiful for a long time....I wouldn't want to detract with the old daffodil leaves.