Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank325

Shasta daisy winter/spring maintenance?

frank325
15 years ago

This is my second summer with these shasta daisies. Last winter/this spring, I did not cut back or do anything with them. Didn't even deadhead them last summer. 3 questions:

1. This summer I have deadheaded, as you can see. Do these bloom again, just really late? I didn't realize it would take so long, these have been completely bare since early July.

2. This is currently about just over 1 feet in diameter if I had to guess. Do you cut back these dwarf kinds of shasta daisies in the spring, or do you just leave them? If you DO cut them back, how much smaller in width and height?

3. As you can see, a couple leaves are browning. Any idea on this?

{{gwi:265795}}

Comments (5)

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone? Almost went to page 2 with no replies so I had to bump :)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

I have always cut mine back in the spring, when they show new growth. Did you cut a length of the stem off when you deadheaded? This could be why no new flower buds have formed yet. I am finding secondary buds coming on the ones I just deadheaded, just taking the spent bloom off and not much stem.

Annette

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

I do a pretty hard deahead because the Shastas I have are quite tall, and tend to flop over. I do get some secondary flowering, but I think that's from volunteers, because you can't possibly get all the seeds. At the end of the fall,sometimes earlier, I cut them all back to about 6 inches. I do not really expect a second bloom, so I have some sort of annual in front of them to hide what's left, because it ain't pretty!!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

I've never gotten a second bloom from Shastas.

Shastas are basal rosette plants that send up tall flower stalks. The flower stalks die off after flowering, so they get cut back to the bottom. It looks like that is the browning in the pictures - the top of the flower stalks beginning to die off. However, it is very hard to get any perspective from the pictures.

• krystine
    15 years ago

So glad to see others with Shasta daisies that peter out in early July... is there something I should be doing to make them last longer? We've certainly had plenty of rain this year, that's for sure!