Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Growing Coreopsis 'Full Moon'?

Posted by kimnc7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 08 at 20:16

I went to Lowes and Home Depot today and saw a beautiful, stunning new Coreopsis at both called "Full Moon." I find it so hard to resist Coreopsis, but I did because it is one of the tall ones (24"-30"). I planted "Sweet Dreams" last summer/fall and it is about 24" and it flops all over the place and I hate it for that reason. It looks messy. I know this is a very new plant, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it or has good information about its habit, especially if it is a flopper.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Growing Coreopsis 'Full Moon'?

kim, can you whack back half-grown coreopsis to keep it from flopping?will poor soil help with the flopping?
I can't grow coreopsis because i don't have good enough drainage, but those are anti-flopping techniques I use for other plants.
best,
mindy

o

I planted 3 Coreopsis "Full Moon" from Garden Crossings in Spring 08. Fantastic plants: bloomed nonstop without deadheading at all. They are big and a bit lax: I put supports around the cluster of three after a heavy rain caused them to flop a bit. It is very different from Sweet Dreams: bigger and more substantial. This is the best coreopsis that I have every grown. I see from the Garden Crossing site that there is another new Coreopsis in this series ("Big Bang") for 2009. I'm going to give it a try.

o

Here's an interesting blog posting on new coreopsis varieties:

http://transatlanticplantsman.typepad.com/transatlantic_plantsman/2008/06/new-hardier-coreopsis.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on Coreopsis

o

Thanks for the link. What a nice range of colors on the new varieties. I will look for 'Full Moon' next month while on vacation in AZ. Then will test it for hardiness in z: 4 next winter.

o

Interesting article. I just read about Redshift on a couple of different sites. One listed it as zone 5, one as zone 4. I guess the next couple of years will tell. As for not being able to grow them because of drainage problems, try Zagreb. That is one tough plant. I have it growing in dry areas and damp, it seems to take whatever mother nature throws it's way.

o

I purchased C. 'Redshift' this summer, another Coreopsis in the "Big Bang" series. Definitely more upright and bloomed over a very long period, with butter yellow blooms sporting a red eye. I think it will overwinter here just fine, unlike C. 'Sweet Dreams', 'Heaven's Gate', 'Autumn Blush' and the others I've tried. It's gotten down to 20 degrees F here so far and 'Redshift' still has green basal foliage. So, I think this forbodes well for the other plants in this series.

o

All of the "Big Bang" series are excellent. They can survive cold temps, but need sharp drainage, becasue they can't stand "wet feet". My Full Moon blooms non- stop from June til really hard frost in October. Best Coreopsis I have ever grown, by far.

o

I have a whole row of Full Moon and they are wonderful (Central Ohio). But they do flop badly so a few weeks ago i trimmed them way back and they are growing back fine. Will have to see how well they flower. Last year, they flowered late, like August and then keep going til frost.
Does anyone have experience with Sunray Coreopsis?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here