Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lavender

Posted by cheetahcub south carolina (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 20:58

Can I grow French lavender in south Carolina ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lavender

I have found lavender to be tricky and haven't had what I consider success even though it's hardy in my zone. I winter sowed seeds of various types and had so-so germination, grew the plants on, potted them up but never set any in the ground because they seemed happier in containers. None have survived this experiment.

The link below will take you to the Missouri Botanical Garden's page that relates information about growing French lavender. Hope this is helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: French Lavender

o

Thank you.

o

it is said... you are not a green thumb.. until you have killed each plant.. 3 times ...

so go for it ...

try the GW search function ...

there are peeps with wild success... and many who failed miserably ... not many peeps in the middle ...

i THINK my problem was fall and spring drainage.. they do not like cold wet soil ... and i THINK the greatest success was south of MI.. but not the deep south ...

it might matter in the carolinas... whether you are coastal or mountains ...

all that said.. whats to lose.. on buying a plant or two.. or trying a pack of seeds .. eh???

ken

o

I failed with lavender for years until I tried several different types one year, and the one I'd been buying for years died, but the others didn't. I'd experiment with different types if I were you.

o

Lavendars have very different requirements. Yes, try different types. I like French and Spanish Lavenders. English lavenders do not like the heat and drought that I get in Texas.

o

In most cases, lavender wants lean, gravelly soil. Rich soil will kill it faster than cold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here