Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuxedocox

Help, my thyme is turning brown.

tuxedocox
16 years ago

Hello everyone that reads this. I just bought some lemon thyme and it just arrived yesterday. I planted the 3.5" plant in a 8" clay pot filled with potting soil. I watered the plant just so the surface was a little wet (maybe about an inch and a half wet). I left the plant outside in the sun today (which I was informed that it liked), and when I returned to look at it later in the evening, I found that parts of it were becomming brown. Can anyone help me remedy the situation? (the plants arrived with the roots wrapped in a little bit of dirt and wet newspape. It looked very healthy when it arrived. PLEASE HELP ME.

Comments (10)

• lindac
    16 years ago

You should have soaked the whole pot very well....do it now...quickly. The poor plant is dying of dehydration.
    Also after bring wrapped up in a box and spending several days in the mail, I expect bright sun and dry roots was a bit of a shock.
    You may not be able to save it.
    Linda C

• tuxedocox
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The newspaper that the roots were wrapped in were a little moist, do you perhaps think that I should do something similar and wrap the roots in wet newspaper and plant it in the dirt? What do you mean by soaking the pot, I am very new to this type of gardening.

• mrsgalihad
    16 years ago

Take the pot and submerge it in a bucket of water. Clay pots can wick water out of the soil. When no more bubbles come to the surface it has enough water. It would probably also be a good idea to keep your plant in the shade for a few days to help it recover from transplant shock.

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

Being shipped like that is a shock for a plant and it will need more water than it normally would. Do as everyone suggested and soak the pot in water until the potting soil is really wet. Then keep the plant in a shady spot for a couple of days until it starts to look better. Then move it gradually into more sun. Water it every two or three days.

• ladychroe
    16 years ago

Do what athenainwi says whenever you get a mail-order plant: water and put in the shade, then gradually expose it to more sun (if it is a full-sun plant).

Also, in the future, don't repot right away. Let the plant recover from shipping before planting or repotting it. Planting/repotting, drought, sudden changes in light, shipping... all of these shock the plant. The plant can survive one at a time, but not all together.

Good luck, I hope it makes it.

• tuxedocox
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think the plant is making it. Thank you for everyone who has posted on this topic as you've all been help. Someone advised me to try using a plastic container (same size) instead of the clay pot. It seems to be doing well, but I have another question: Does anyone know if this plant regularly has its leaves turn brown? They don't turn brown in great numbers, but I was wondering if it is healthy for them to turn brown in small amounts?

Thanks,

Chris

• ellen_z7ny
    16 years ago

I usually repot my small plants by degrees. I would put a 3 1/2" plant into a 5" pot or as small as I could manage, then let it grow before potting up again. Also, thyme likes especially good drainage. Regular peat-based potting mix holds quite a lot of moisture. I would throw some extra perlite and sand into the mix first.

• tuxedocox
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hope some of you can see this picture of the thyme I have. I'd really like some advice on what I should do with it.
    {{gwi:266330}}

• ladychroe
    16 years ago

Do you mean where you should plant it? Thyme works well between stepping stones and as an edging, as long as there is good drainage. There are lots of posts about thyme and other steppables if you do a search on Gardenweb.

It looks like it's not in any danger now. Glad you were able to save it!

• tuxedocox
    Original Author
    16 years ago

As you've probably have been able to tell by previous posts, I am completely new to dealing with herbs (especially this lemon thyme). Does anyone have any hints on how I can care for it indoors over the winter an also, how would I propagate a plant like this and have it grow in another container as well (I have never done propagation before).