Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dani0025

Lillies

Dani0025
10 years ago

Im not sure what type of lily this is or I would google it, but im interested in moving them. They are on the side of the house so only the neighbor gets to see them =/
I tried to move one in the spring, but it shriveled and died a few weeks later.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
Dani

Comments (7)

• duluthinbloomz4
    10 years ago

Lilium Lancifolium or L. Tigrinum or true tiger lily.

To insure success with them, wait until the stems have yellowed/browned out, become ratty and woody and any foliage is yellow and droopy - that means the bulb has taken the energy it needs to replenish itself for next season's growth. For ease when digging up, cut the stem down to 5-6 inches above the soil line; once out of the ground, the rest of the woody stem can be cut away a bit above the bulb. Transplant them where wanted without waiting too long. Here in zone 4, I don't water them - rain will be sufficient.

I have lots of these - because I think they're charming and because just about every one of the bulbils that drop naturally (or with help) sprouts.

• Dani0025
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So when I dig them up im looking for a bulb? That would explain why the others didnt make it haha. Are they little black balls along the stems seeds? I always thought they were but wasnt sure.
    And if that is a tiger lily then whats this? I love these flowers, wish they lasted a little longer though =)

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    10 years ago

You can plant the black balls (bulbils) or let them fall to the ground and they will make new tiger lilies.

Your second picture is a daylily.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Dani0025 - FYI - daylily, or Hemerocallis, by its very definition means each flower lasts just a day time-wise but the plants produce so many flowers they appear to be constantly in bloom, often over the course of several weeks in mid-summer. There are many thousands of cultivars & colors spanning the spectrum from white to red to purple/black. Since they require zero care/maintenance, they're often included in sunny perennial beds.

• duluthinbloomz4
    10 years ago

When it's time to dig up the true tiger lily - top photo - dig deep since the bulb pulls itself down to the level it wants to be over time. 6-8 inches at least.

And the little bulbils between the stem and leaf axils are seeds. Those can be removed now and replanted immediately just barely under the soil where you want them. It'll take a few growing seasons - 3 to 4 seasons before they reach blooming size.

• Dani0025
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info!
    Im newish to lillies but I would have to say they are some of my favorite!
    I actual took a horticulture class but I focused more on the floral design aspect. I wish I had payed more attention to the actual growing lol!
    I actual got one more I would love the name to, thesr are my favorite, and Im actually wondering how to propagate these if anyone knows =)

• duluthinbloomz4
    10 years ago

That's one of the Asiatic lilies - could be known by any of the common names for the varieties.

Can't advise much on the propagation aside from eventually digging up any clump and separating the bulbs. That one looks to be growing from only one bulb at this point. Each bulb throws up one stem - multiple stems will be your guide.

Aside from eventual bulb separation - and if this type doesn't produce the little bulbils between the stem and leaf axils like the tigers - one of the real experts here would have to weigh in on any other propagation methods.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994