Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Henry Eilers Rudbeckia

Posted by ginnier Cen IL (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 21:19

This is the first year for Henry Eilers to bloom...and I have sooo looked forward to it. It's got about 8 blooms/stems with sideshoots and blooms coming. It IS only 2.5 feet tall and I expected 3.5 at least. It's in full sun and I'm not big on watering things. I hope it grows a bit each year...There's nothing to hinder its growth other than the lawn mower, well, and lack of water, but we've had some good rains this year so far.

Does anyone else grow this and it does well for them? I was wondering too about collecting seed...has anyone done that and had success from planting them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Henry Eilers Rudbeckia

I grow this and I really enjoy it. Mine, however, is taller, probably at least 3.5 feet tall. I'd say it's about three years old, and it grows in part shade as well. And I neglect my gardens terribly. :)

I've never attempted to collect seed from them so I can't help there. I hope yours does well for you!

Dee

o

Most cultivars don't grow true from seed and return to some more simple or original version

o

I have had HE for a few seasons. The previous 2 it had done well but this season with individual stems about 4 feet tall they are flopped. This hadn't been the case previously. And the only thing different this year is the cooler temps and significant rain fall.

(I notice that there is also a "Little Henry Eilers" available this year).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here