Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

Anyone grow less common Monarda types?

I have been enchanted with Monarda punctata this summer, not only for its stunningly architectural good looks but also for its health, long flowering season and ability to attract all sorts of fascinating insect pollinators in droves. Although said to be short-lived (planted this spring, I have not yet overwintered it), it is said to self-seed to perpetuate itself.

I also grow the more common Monarda 'Raspberry Wine'. While I LOVE the in-your-face, screaming, garden-dominating color of the blossoms, I have to admit that this plant is a dog. It is too tall for my needs, too lanky and brittle, spreads far too fast, and looks plain awful when finished blooming (2-3 weeks tops) is finished. It is relatively mildew resistant. All in all, I think this one will soon be shovel-pruned.

However, I enjoy monarda too much to give up on it entirely. Can anyone speak of their impressions and/or experiences with the following, or others I might have overlooked?:

Monarda bradburiana
Monarda 'Peter's Purple'
Monarda fistulosa 'Claire Grace'
Monarda fistulosa (Wichita Mountain Strain sold by High Country Gardens)
Rose-Scented Monarda (Monarda fistulosa tetraploid)
Monarda media
Monarda citriodora
Monarda 'Bryan Thompson'

I just obtained a small start of the rose-scented monarda from Companion Plants in Ohio, mainly to satisfy my curiosity. I was surprised to find that the leaves actually do have an intense scent of rose mixed in with just a bit of the bergamot odor.

This post was edited by ispahan on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 23:05

Comments (5)

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

I always have Monarda citriodora somewhere. Sometimes it has to be staked, but it is a pretty plant and doesn't mildew. Is an annual though, but easy to sow in place. It's blooming now here.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Nice patch of M citriodora Aseed! Love that plant. I grow some every year to put between the perennials but it sometimes gets floppy. Is yours in full sun and do you usually direct sow?

I grow M. punctata, and each plant usually lasts a couple years, and yes it does reseed around quite readily. I moved mine to the way back little meadow however, because it attracts an inordinate number of wasps, which are predators of my butterfly caterpillars! So it got banished. :)

I have a patch of M. bradburiana grown from seed - easy to do and this is a pretty and delicate Monarda that blooms about a month earlier than M. didyma cultivars. Reseeds a bit but not aggressive. Has nice foliage - not at all mildewy and is glossy with purply red tints.

I also have started M. fistulosa from seed, but moved that back to a wilder area, because of it's unruly habit - it would flop a lot, plus get some mildew. 'Claire Grace' is a terrific cultivar of M. fistulosa which doesn't flop at all for me, is bit more mildew-resistent, and clumps enlarge slowly. It does reseed a bit too. The M. fistulosa tetraploid sounds interesting.

While my noid Monarda didyma and 'Raspberry Wine' do indeed spread like crazy, and get terribly mildewy after bloom (especially this year it's super dry lately), I couldn't be without them. The hummingbirds and pollinators LOVE them!

• arbo_retum
    10 years ago

i only grow Mahogany because of its deep maroon color.fun to learn about the others.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

I've grown citriodora for a few years - didn't start any this year. I really love the blooms and the bloom pattern on this.

I may go back to this next year, as I am sick and tired of trying to grow didyma - never does well for me and this year I discovered I had that horsemint moth worm. Eh!

The citriodora was nice and easy and looked great. Admittedly I've never tried any others, but I do love the citriodora.

Dee

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    10 years ago

PeterâÂÂs Purple is beautiful but I donâÂÂt have full sun and it grows too tall and skinny at my place. Entirely the fault of my conditions, not the fault of the plant, I think. One of our many violent rainstorms will knock it over. I give it a haircut and it comes back but takes awhile to start blooming again.

Natural hybrid of 2 different native monarda created in the yard of Texas native plant expert and namesake Peter Loos. Nice smell like its M. fistulosa ancestor, but does not taste as good. Vibrant color that can stand up to Texas-size heat!