Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madtripper

Thalictrum delavayi or rochebrunianum? + pcs

madtripper
14 years ago

first year flowering of a plant labeled as T. delavayi. It is 7 feet tall and has been in bud and flower for at least a month.

Some reports say this plant is only 3 feet tall.

T. rochebrunianum is taller and seems to look very similar. What is the difference between these two species?

{{gwi:266535}}

{{gwi:266536}}

{{gwi:266537}}

Comments (6)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

I do not grow both species, only T. rochebrunianum.

I think most T. delavayi normally get between 3-5 feet tall, or so I have heard. But Thalictrum do vary in size according to placement. My T. rochebrunianum is now a little over seven feet tall, but was higher last year because it received some shade from a nearby tree (now gone). I think yours may be getting taller because it is getting a fair amount of shade and good moisture.

I have read that the main difference lies in the foliage. The foliage on delavayi is finer than that of the other. The foliage in your pics look a little smaller than my rochebrunianum.

.......I went out to measure. The leaf sets (made up of all the little leaves) are about a foot long. The largest leaf is near 1 1/2 inches. The stems of mine are about 1/2 inch wide.
    Hope this was helpful to you madtripper!
    CMK

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

The stems of T. rochebrunianaum will also be thicker than those of T. delavayi.

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

One more point from another source: although the flowers are very similar, they are actually smaller on T. rochebruneanum relative to T. delavayi.

• flora2b
    14 years ago

Hi Maddtripper,
    I too have been trying to identify a thalictrum.....attached is a link...have you had babies or seeds? The rochebrunianum I have was started from seed, the other thalictrum was a gift plant.
    Looks more like rochebrunianum but I know the leaf size helps identify them. When I get a few moments I will go out and measure the size of the leaves and post for you.
    Flora

Here is a link that might be useful: thalictrum id

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

The plant in the third picture, if the color is accurate, is identical to my t.rochebrunianum. The height is also a give away; mine are at least 7 feet this year. The color of the first two pictures are a bit misleading, at least on my mid quality laptop. When I adjust the monitor, it is evident the flowers are lavender.

I love this plant. It thrives neglected on a part sunny hillside, which never gets raked. It has made a dozen babies over the last two years.

• flora2b
    14 years ago

Here are the leaf pics I took, the larger is rochebrunianum and the smaller is what I believe to be delavayi var. decorum.
    Another difference is the flower bud shape......rochebrunianum has round buds and the flowers are smaller in bloom....delavayi has bell shaped buds and larger flowers which bloom much longer.

{{gwi:266538}}

{{gwi:266539}}

Both of my plants are similiar in height this year, but roche...has made babies as well, whereas the delavayi has not.

Regardless this is one of my favorite plants...
    Flora

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022