Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this?

Posted by tawnybee none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 22:36

Can anyone identify this? Sorry, couldn't seem to find a 'flower' forum so this seemed the closest. I was hoping it was lavendar but it has no smell, even when rubbed between the fingers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this?

I'm afraid I can't id it for you but for future reference the Name That Plant Forum is the best place to start to look for identities. Also it is really helpful to have foliage in the picture, a sense of scale, an indication of where and when it was growing and whether it was in a garden or in the wild.

That said I am sure someone here will know it. (You're right. It is definitely not Lavender.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant

o

WAG.. purple loosestrife..

the invasive one ...

verify that

ken

o

It could be any number of plants from loosestrife to delphinium ---- it helps to have leaves attached.

o

Maybe a Veronica, try the other forum and let us know how it turns out.

o

Doesn't look like any of the Veronica spicata cultivars (at least) I'm familiar with (below the flowering part).

Agree with Ken - looks very much like purple loosestrife.

o

I don't think this is purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria). That doesn't leave the stigma behind when the petals drop and the unopened buds look wrong.

Pictures of the foliage, the habit and an in focus, clear view of a flower and bud would really help.

o

If it is very erect it may be obedient plant, Physostegia virginiana

o

Re Florauk re purple loosestrife:

Top 'Rosy Gem' and bottom 'Morden Pink'.

Think I've changed my mind.

o

It could also be a salvia, either 'May Night' or Cara Donna'. Need to see foliage pics.

o

It could also be a salvia, either 'May Night' or Cara Donna'. Need to see foliage pics.

o

As MulchMama says, need the pictures from Tawnybee.

But below, the tail-end of 'Caradonna' (bottom) and 'Mainacht' (May Night).(top).

Not great picture, but different.

o

Also, where did it come from, etc.?

o

What does the foliage look like? Could it be purple toadflax, Linaria purpurea?

o

It isn't Linaria purpurea- the stem/foliage on those are pretty glaucus. Plus the flowers are distinctly snapdragon-like ;-)

While I've never seen a purple loosestrife in real life, I always thought the flowers were "fatter"?

I'm fairly certain it IS a Veronica. Could be a Veronicastrum if the whole head (with side shoots of flowers) wasn't picked. My bet still goes with Veronica though ;-) I've noticed the flower density/how close packed the flowers are really differs from cultivar to cultivar. It always seems the longifolia types are longer and "sparse" looking somehow.

Pic below of my 'Red Fox' Veronica to show how the stigmas are left behind. Link shows it on Veronicastrum...
CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: Veronicastrum

o

Picture certainly looks similar.

From memory, I'd have said not Veronicastrum virginicum.

Unfortunately have already cut them back.

However, picture of 'Lavendelturm' (Lavender Towers: in the reference picture) in our garden in July.

This post was edited by SunnyBorders on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 1:39

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here