Lanceleaf Coreopsis

GreatPlains1
10 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 2:10

Comments (10)

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

I planted a lanceleaf coreopsis from generic seed this year at my new house in a full sun position and it is in the running for the floppiest flower I have. It was about four feet tall when the blooms came, if it would have stood up that is. The USDA database says it is for full sun, and maybe part sun, but it won't have as many flowers and it will stretch and be taller. Yikes! I don't think that it would stand up under those conditions. I don't know if cutting it back in late spring will help, and that doesn't sound like low maintenance. I did cut mine back recently because I couldn't stand it. I do know that we had a very wet spring and summer which probably contributed. There are probably better, more dwarf cultivars like Early Sunrise which blooms the first year from seed. It did pretty well at my other house, but the plants weren't very long lived for me.

• GreatPlains1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 2:10

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

Well, not sure what would be the best thing for you. Are you in the dry western part of OK, or east where it is wetter maybe? I think it would be similar to SD in that way, just warmer. How about Oregon grape holly Mahonia? Here is an answer from a website. That salvia is pretty, and being able to mow the artemisia would be easy care. I really don't know what are all the things you have already excluded in your mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: What a quick search turned up.

• GreatPlains1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 2:11

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

An alternative to lanceleaf coreopsis may well be threadleaf coreopsis or Coreopsis verticillata. I grow 'Zagreb' but there's a much paler yellow cultivar named 'Moonbeam' that's lovely. The foliage is fernlike and the flowers are generous.

I've also found lanceleaf coreopsis to be floppy even in full sun and have pretty much decided to delete it from my garden wish list. I have C. verticillata 'Zagreb' growing in part sun but not shade so cannot comment on how it would do in part shade. According to my garden guide, 'Perennials for Every Purpose' by Larry Hodgson, it should perform well in full sun to light shade.

I'm guessing hardy geranium might suit your purpose given it's mounding habit and tolerance of part shade. I have G. 'Biokovo' growing on the north side of my house where it's shaded part of the day by the house and the other part by a huge tree. Unlike coreopsis the blooms tend to be pink or lavender rather than yellow.

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

If you already have the seeds, then you really aren't out any money, just the time to rip it out if you don't like it. Maybe if it is dry and hot and shady it will work out and the plants won't get so tall. I think experimenting is okay, and it's free! Good luck, and post a pic if it looks good.

• GreatPlains1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 2:12

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

Nice!

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

That picture is a riot.

It's a mud puppy!