Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you try new cultivars when they come out or

Posted by yeonasky z8b VancouverBC (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 1:57

do you wait and see how they do for others?

I've got a bit of money right now, for a change and it's going in to the garden fund. Every year I devour all the hoopla about new plants, then wait and watch for the longer term results. Like with Echinacea Big Sky series. Well next year I've decided to earmark some money for the newest fancy plants. I'm going throw caution to the wind, and possibly get some duds. Of course I'm going to try some of the newer ones that I've watched and waited for, and seem to be succeeding for people, but will risk heartbreak for once. Armeria 'Ballerina Red' is one I like the look of. I have very little red in my garden, and want to add splashes of it here and there. What about you? Do you always wait until the verdict is in, or are you swayed by the pretty flowers or and foliage?

Yeona

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants for 2012

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you try new cultivars when they come out or

Well ,to start with, somebody HAS to buy them to MAKE a verdict. If everybody waits, no verdict. If a plant is within the range of plants I'm interested in, then I may buy it, provided the price is reasonable and the plant itself appeals to me visually. And of course you learn on your way what you can expect. Now when I know the new Echinaceas are mostly rubbish, I do not cry for hours if they die.

o

Depends on which plant it is...I will not pay outrageous prices, I often will wait a year.

o

I picked up Banana Cream Shasta daisy last year but only because it was marked down 50% off when I found it. Even then the price was pretty steep. Might have been a Proven Winners selection which automatically adds $5 to the regular price from what I've observed. I'd rather wait until the end of the season, like around now, and pick up the discards for $1. Last week I got two gallon-size pots of hardy geranium 'Biokovo' for $1 each. Both are healthy and full. My garden is huge so it's not economically feasible for me to pay full price for plants. That being said, I will often read all I can about something new, then wait a season so I can read comments about it by folks who spent the money the year before.

o

I also wait for a year or so, mainly because I don't want to spend lots of money on something new, and have it not survive.

Having said that, I seem to lose something newer every year. Lots of plants they say are hardy, really aren't.

o

Once in a while I will try the "newest plant on the block", but typically I wait a year or two to see how newbies perform for others and for the prices to come down.

o

It depends on what the plant is ;-) If it is a plant that has a "certain reputation" (like Heuchera & Echinacea) I don't even bother unless I see them on a sale rack.

If it is a new cultivar of a tried and true plant that does well in my garden I don't hesitate to buy it if I want it.
CMK

o

I check around, and read about the plant first. If I've had good luck with that genera, and if I've had good luck with plants from a particular breeder, then I'll spring for it. But weather is becoming so extreme, I'm finding old-fashioned tried and true cultivars pay for themselves.
I do like hosta, and treat myself to a few new ones every year. But again, I go carefully and slowly.
Still, it's fun to try something new and it's not that great an expense. Plants are relatively inexpensive compared to electronics, or tobbacco, or liquor.

o

I usually wait a year to see what people 's experience overwintering, etc. are because it's discouraging for me to lose an expensive plant so quickly to our freeze/thaw winters, however, as ninamarie said, if you compare the purchase of a plant to other purchases, I figure the price of a new plant iss just over the price of a less fancy dinner for two out, which is here one minute and gone the next , so I'm sometimes willing to forgo the dinner and splurge on a plant I'm excited about and take that chance :)

o

some things seems to be worth the trial, like the new black petunias this year. Have done very well and good sales too. Some things you're better off to wait, like some of the coneflowers, heucheras, the price comes down in a year or two and some of the less vigorous ones are "improved". Some "new" plants are so close in habit, color, texture, to the ones that are already out there, that it's a waste of money.
That being said, if it's a new banana plant (my passion) you can bet I'll get it...lol...

o

No I don't usually buy the new cultivars. One exception was Echinacea 'Sunrise' and that didn't work out too well because the Big Sky plants seem to decline in vigor as years go by. Also one year I bought a fancy Stokesia cultivar at Garden in the Woods, a pretty famous local native nursery, and that thing proceeded to wither as soon as it was planted! Never saw a bloom. :-/

This year I decided to buy seed of perennials that have been cultivated for superior traits. The seed is more expensive that your average seed, but way cheaper than nursery plants. And somebody else has done a lot of work to cultivate a strain of seed that breeds true.

Digitalis Camelot series
Aquilegia caerulea Origami series
Echinacea purpurea cultivars, like 'Pow wow wild berry', 'Primadonna White', and 'Bravado'
Physostegia virginiana 'Crystal Peak'

o

no, not really. In fact, I only buy plants I have seen and know a bit about. I didn't always though. Lessons have been learned. Generally, especially if money is not always flush, it seems better to buy plants which you believe will be good for your garden...and this info is rarely available in the horticultural industry. Lots of lovely photos, but hardly anything really useful and never specific to your garden. Not that I am not tempted - I have been holding off T&Ms blue verbascum for a couple of years yet - if it's good, it will still be around when I have had a chance to get familiar with it. Because I love roses, the issue of rose replant syndrome also tends to propagate a certain caution - a bad choice is not easily replaced without much soil amendement and mycchorhizae so impulse is a bad rationale for plant buying.

o

terrene - I just added P. virginiana 'Crystal Peak' to my list of seeds to order this winter based on what I've been reading about it. I'll be interested in what we both think of it down the road a bit...

I WS E. Pow Wow Wild Berry this year but didn't see any blooms. I got very high germination from the seeds, which = lots of plants and expect/hope to post photos of flowers next season.

Aquilegia/columbine and I are not ready to clasp hands and declare friendship anytime soon based on my WS and SS results. :-/

o

Thank you for your replies, everyone. Interesting and educational as always. I still will throw away some money next year and hope I get lucky, but will have to steel myself for some heartbreak I'm sure. :)

I've never had much luck with seeds, but I see I'm going to have to try again.

Yeona

o

Yeonasky, seeds are easy. Just allow yourself to kill a few while you learn. You'll be amazed just how much you can learn after killing a few.

o

I agree yeonasky, seeds are easier than you think. Trudi Davidoff's winter-sowing technique (see Winter sowing forum) is fun, easy, cheap, and like "sowing seeds for dummies". Makes it very easy for the beginner, and usually gives you more confidence to start even more from seed, and move on to more complex germination techniques.

Gardenweed, my Crystal Peak had 100% germ. and is blooming now, at all of 6-8 inches tall! Pretty little white flowers. Also, my Digitalis camelot lavender and white are both blooming this fall and they are coming true to color. Also, one of the Echinacea Pow wow wild berries and three of the Bravado are sending up blooming stalks. All of these blooming the first year from seed. Awesome.

o

I have a tendency to hold off on expensive new introductions until they've proven themselves equal or superior to what's already out there.

..."somebody HAS to buy them to MAKE a verdict. If everybody waits, no verdict."

No problem there. Lots of people just have to possess the latest and greatest, even if it isn't (as the various threads griping about new Echinaceas hybrids suggest).

New seed introductions are generally a lot cheaper and more worthwhile for me. I use this fabulous spring sowing technique and get lots of plants from it with ease. ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here