Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Plant for the back of a border in dry shade?

Hi,

I am planning on moving plants in a long border that backs up to my neighbor's spruce trees. The border is facing south, but some of the back 2-3 feet are shaded by overhanging branches of the spruce trees. I tried some sunflowers there this year and they really didn't do well. I need something about 5-6feet tall and it will have sun annual/perennials in front of it.

Some of the plants I am considering putting in the front of that border are:

Phlox Nora Leigh,Perovskia,Zinnias,Liatris,Delphiniums,Cosmos,Lupine,Penstemon,Malva Maurantia with bearded iris and shorter edging plants in front of that of Dianthus, Coreopsis Moonbeam, grasses, Shasta Daisy Snowcap.

I won't be able to fit all that in but those are what I am choosing from. I have no idea what to try to put in the back.

Comments (13)

• anitamo
    16 years ago

How shady? It does get some light right? If so, I'd go with joe pye weed. Mine grow in sun and shady conditions...they look better in sun, but will bloom in shade, too.

Cinnamon ferns get tall, so you might want to consider them.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Hmm, I've been researching bog-type plants, and eupatorium was one of the things recommended, so I'm not sure if they can take dry shade. How dry is dry, lol?

Maybe a kerria japonica? I seem to be finding somewhat conflicting info on this, but it might tolerate the dryness, and definitely will do well in shade. I'm thinking of one for a dry shady bed myself.

How about aconitum? I have some in several dry shady spots and it seems to be doing well. I had a hard time getting it established, but this year it seemed to finally take hold and is doing well. Mine is a late bloomer - just setting buds now. And it is tall - 4-5 feet - so it will look good at the back of the border.

Good luck - I'll be watching this thread for more suggestions. I can always use something for my dry shade!

:)
    Dee

• Donna
    16 years ago

I would research some beautiful, colorful shrubs for that spot: Cotinus or Ninebark or even some barberry. Colorful foliage looks great from early to late and will probably have a better chance of competing with your trees.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dee, it is funny you should mention that. I planted Joe Pye Weed last year in another location. It is on a little rise and the water runs off there. I thought it was supposed to be drought tolerant, but this year, it has suffered with the drought more than most other plants in that bed.

I love aconitum too Dee. I have tried winter sowing seed two years now without success. I have heard they are slow to start, but I may break down and look for one this fall to add. That might be one plant that will work in that area but I will need more, because the back runs at least 15 feet maybe more. I do like Kerrias, I will think about that one too.

Donna...I actually have two Ninebarks in that bed, further over and in the middle. One is the SSWine and the other is Dart's Gold. I really am enjoying those shrubs. The information I read on them, suggested that the first few years, you should cut them back hard to get a bushier fuller shrub, which I have done. So they are really short this year. Maybe shorter than 3 feet. I am wondering if I should consider moving them to the back of that area.

• nancyd
    16 years ago

I'm not sure perennials are the way to go. If I were you I'd be planting a mixed shrub border. Rose of Sharon are very drought tolerant as are dogwood shrubs and forsythia. You can always plant shorter perennials/annuals in front of the shrubs for color. Many of the perennials you mention need more moisture and sun than it sounds like you have in that spot and do not reach the 5-6 foot requirements you have. You might also want to consider grasses if you have enough sun. Many can get quite large.

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

There were many things about barberry I liked - attractive foliage color, nice berries, grew well shaded by mature but limbed spruce, deer resistant, got water only when it rained. But mine were already out of control, and sprouting up everywhere when I took over the gardens. The thorns were a nuisance and were beyond pruning back to a reasonable size and shape. They were replaced with "Dart's Gold" ninebark. The Dart's Gold would probably be a good candidate to move to the back since it seems to hold its color in shaded conditions. The intensely colored ninebarks need more sun to keep from going green.

If the shade you've got is filtered or passing, there might be a fairly good list to choose from. The Shrubs Forum people would have some ideas.

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

I use meadow rue (thalictrum) for a tall shade perennial. It doesn't mind being dry once it's established, and takes a lot of shade, still blooming on those wiry stems. However, it's a see-through plant and is fairly short out of bloom - looks like a tall aquilegia. Not sure which varieties I have, but they are tall - around 5 feet.

• webkat5
    16 years ago

What about Mahonia??

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    16 years ago

Diablo Ninebark gets abour 12 x 12--feet that is, so it might take up the whole bed rather than be a backdrops. A great shrub for dry shade is Eleutherococcus sieboldianus variegatus. About 6x6 when mature with lovely white and green variegated leaves. No flowers worth discussing and it grows slowly.

Joe Pye needs moisture (it's suffering now in the drought) and my aconitum certainly doesn't like dry.

• entling
    16 years ago

Solomon's seal (Polyganatum) does well in my dry shade. It takes a few years, but eventually they get about 4 ft tall. There is some debate over whether P. biflorum & P. caniculatum are the same plant or caniculatum is a taller plant. I've read reports of 6 ft tall Polyganatums, but I don't think that was in dry soil.

• ellen_s
    16 years ago

hmm, dry shade and tall is a tough one! White wood aster will grow in dry shade but may not be tall enough for you. Have you thought about some of the shade-tolerant goldenrod such as Wreath Goldenrod?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi...I started to respond to everyone's suggestions this morning and then decided it might help if I posted photos, so I am going to post a second thread with the photos if anyone wants to comment.

:-)
    pm2

• teri2
    10 years ago

Bless Google! My search for "dry shade tall" turned up this great 6 year old thread. Full of good information. Let's put this at the head of the line for others who were not around when the thread originated.